Red Dwarf X Page 27

Stop it. You're making me wet.

Dan

I liked it. Sorry.

I liked it too. It feels like 'proper' Dwarf to me.

Dan

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 26 2012, 9:28 AM BST

There are no 'aliens' in Red Dwarf, everything comes, at some point, from Earth or was created by Humans.

This is supposed to be the formula but:

1/ Alien life is life created in space. If you are born or created in space, you are alien to Earthlings. It doesn't matter if it is Earth debris or Earth tech.

2/ Who said that Earth life originated on Earth anyway? It could be a false premise.

What are space weevils?

Quote: Ben @ October 26 2012, 7:58 PM BST

What are space weevils?

To quote Rob Grant:

"...there are no aliens in Red Dwarf...the idea is that all life originated on Earth - the Psirens as part of the GELF project, and the Space Weevils are simply Weevils who adapted to vacuum conditions, carried on Earth- originated vessels."

Have you learnt that quote off by heart, Matt?

I have it inked onto my balls.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 26 2012, 9:03 PM BST

I have it inked onto my balls.

You must have some BIG balls!

Or an unreadable tattoo.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 26 2012, 7:35 PM BST

This is supposed to be the formula but:

1/ Alien life is life created in space. If you are born or created in space, you are alien to Earthlings. It doesn't matter if it is Earth debris or Earth tech.

2/ Who said that Earth life originated on Earth anyway? It could be a false premise.

1/ Is *a* definition of alien. Another is that the life needs to be or be evolved from a lifeform that has constructed itself out of amino acids entirely independent of Earth. All GELFs and the Cat are Terran, in that they originated from Earth at some point. However, like you say all Terran life might have originated from batceria in gas clouds trillions of miles away. And we'd still consider a lifeform that evolved on a different planet, but from the same pan-spermia, an alien.

But Red Dwarf stipulates that all lifeforms in the programme originate from Earth at some point, regardless of all Terran lifeforms' origin beyond that point.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 26 2012, 8:05 PM BST

To quote Rob Grant:

"...there are no aliens in Red Dwarf...the idea is that all life originated on Earth - the Psirens as part of the GELF project, and the Space Weevils are simply Weevils who adapted to vacuum conditions, carried on Earth- originated vessels."

Is this quote from a Rob Grant interview? Would be interested to read it if so.

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ October 27 2012, 12:45 AM BST

1/ Is *a* definition of alien. Another is that the life needs to be or be evolved from a lifeform that has constructed itself out of amino acids entirely independent of Earth. All GELFs and the Cat are Terran, in that they originated from Earth at some point. However, like you say all Terran life might have originated from batceria in gas clouds trillions of miles away. And we'd still consider a lifeform that evolved on a different planet, but from the same pan-spermia, an alien.

But Red Dwarf stipulates that all lifeforms in the programme originate from Earth at some point, regardless of all Terran lifeforms' origin beyond that point.

Jesus.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 27 2012, 2:45 AM BST

Jesus.

Was he an alien?

Reading this thread it amazes me that red dwarf fans get accused of being geeks

Pah

Agree, totally unwarranted imo.