Red Dwarf X

Anyone here a big fan of Red Dwarf? I am. I mean BIG.
So it confuses me that I am NOT looking forward to Red Dwarf Series 10 (or Red Dwarf X as it's apparently to be known).

For a start: what happened to Series IX? Not only is this going to mess up my DVD collection but it just gives them the opportunity to completely ignore what happened at the end of Series VIII (Red Dwarf cannot do cliff-hangers very well!).

What're everyone's thoughts on the return of the Dwarf? Has it been too long and should it just remain a good memory? (Except series VIII....which never happened...I've wiped it from my memory.)

Well, surely nine was the three part mini-series?

I'm looking forward to it, especially if they go back to the old style, in front of a studio audience.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ August 26 2011, 10:20 AM BST

Well, surely nine was the three part mini-series?

I'm looking forward to it, especially if they go back to the old style, in front of a studio audience.

If they went back to how Series 6 was then we might have something. Back To Earth was a little disappointing though - I'd rather think of it as a quirky special rather than a substitute for Series 9. Does that mean we never see what happened after Red Dwarf was being eaten alive?

I'm looking forward to it too. When does it start?

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2011, 10:25 AM BST

I'm looking forward to it too. When does it start?

They are filming in November apparently...so I guess first half of the new year.

Quote: Brown @ August 26 2011, 10:40 AM BST

They are filming in November apparently...so I guess first half of the new year.

That's good. I mean I agree the golden years are behind it, but even at its poorest Red Dwarf has always been very watchable and capable of providing laughs.

Quote: Brown @ August 26 2011, 10:40 AM BST

Depends how many episodes really. Also since it's a popular show they may want it for the Autumn schedule.

Quote: chipolata @ August 26 2011, 10:43 AM BST

That's good. I mean I agree the golden years are behind it, but even at its poorest Red Dwarf has always been very watchable and capable of providing laughs.

I really wish that they had got the funding for the movie and finished it with that.

I'm pretty sure Red Dwarf is uniquely fairly hard to over do in sitcom land. It may not match the quality of earlier series but doesn't ever seem to detract from it either. With almost every other sitcom made, it would seem very hard to just dip in and out of like that. I think it's good we've got one sitcom that can do this.

Makes you wonder why the BBC didn't commission a Series 9. I think if they throw the loneliness of space element again then I'm sure the series will be passable. They're all older now of course so the characters would have to mature (with the exception of Kryten and Rimmer. Will that work? Imagine if they tried to bring The Young Ones back calling it The Old Ones...? Actually that would rock.

I've been reading The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy lately and you can tell they were heavily influenced! Talking food dispensers etc.

I think the new series will air on Dave in Sept 2012.

TBH, I think it will probably be very mediocre.

But f**k it! It's Red Dwarf so anything new is great.

The BBC did want to commission a Series 9 of the show back in the late 90s. Writer Doug Naylor was desperate to make a movie (still is) and for many years said that even if he couldn't make a movie that he wouldn't consider making any more Red Dwarf for TV. By the time that he'd changed his mind, I guess the BBC had as well.

I loved the first 6 series of Red Dwarf but didn't like Series VII, VIII or Back to Earth at all. Sadly I just don't think that the characters are the same anymore and I doubt I will watch the new shows as I can't imagine myself liking them.

I believe that they will be broadcast in the Autumn of next year.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s3/coronation-street/news/a338950/craig-charles-thanks-coronation-street-for-red-dwarf-break.html

Charles says it's going to be shot in front of a studio audience again; hope that's true!

Me too

I hope Norman plays Holly again too

Given the financial success of the Inbetweeners film, the Red Dwarf crew must be seething that they didn't get to do their film, particularly given the larger fan base for Red Dwarf.