Newsjack - Series 4 Page 11

Personally I was suited with the e-mail saying my submission was going to be read. That is a major step up for me. I'm just waiting for the don't bother sending anymore e-mail.

Out of interest, what topics did people choose to use for their sketches?

I've done police cuts, marathon man and a Google/Bing thing. And they're all 60-second interviews.

Blenkin- What email provider are you using? There shouldn't be any reason for it being flagged as spam if you're using a well-known provider such as Gmail, Hotmail, etc.

Quote: Zane111 @ February 9 2011, 6:46 PM GMT

I've done police cuts, marathon man and a Google/Bing thing. And they're all 60-second interviews.

I went with an Andy Gray 60 second interview, a Steve Coogan v Top Gear sketch and a David Cameron movie trailer. The movie trailer can be found in the skit comp tomorrow :)

My main subject was the BBC apologising for Top Gear and QI. I also touched on Egypt, the English Defence League and the Pakistan cricket team.

[quote name="Zane111" post="726077" date="February 9 2011, 6:46 PM GMT"]Out of interest, what topics did people choose to use for their sketches?

I sent a valentine sketch, some one liners/apps about the £3.5million jewellery robbery ,Ann Summers boss,Sally Bercow sex life revelations and Chinese Year of the Rabbit

I sent a Scooby Doo on the trail of the Police Cutting Ghoul sketch, He would have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids. A Movie trailer about George Bush not going to Switzerland as he might be arrested and a Newsfox skit about Dallas coming back to our screens which includes the immortal line "Well if you grease a barbers pole with monkey spit and ride it like a bobsled you might get friction burns" which I was quite proud of.

A h well, back to the drawing board or key board or Noose or Razor Blades or... why does no one appreciate me?

Quote: Batleywriter @ February 9 2011, 7:28 PM GMT

A h well, back to the drawing board or key board or Noose or Razor Blades or... why does no one appreciate me?

They may be in touch last minute according to some earlier posts..you never know

I forgot I also sent something about Ambulance Services having to use reinforced stretchers

Quote: Griff @ February 9 2011, 11:17 AM GMT

You'll get an email saying your stuff "might" be in the recording, and then one saying it actually was in the recording (if it was), but you don't know until broadcast whether it actually gets in the final edit.

Jazzchantoozie - are you Graham Bandage's friend who came to see our sitcom readthrough last year? If so, Wave

Meaning if you haven't by now you might as well be posting on the rejects thread already?

Dammit.

Note to self: be funnier.

Quote: Big Jack @ February 9 2011, 8:31 PM GMT

Meaning if you haven't by now you might as well be posting on the rejects thread already?

Dammit.

No. In the last series emails were only sent on the night the show went out.

So, in summary, it's too early to tell. Check back later to see if anyone went to the recording.

Probably not a good idea to do three sketches based on one format. Choose your favourite of the three and go with that. Play the percentages and use the other formats.

Hopefully it should be easier after the first show airs to know how they're working.

Quote: swerytd @ February 9 2011, 3:50 PM GMT

And my second comment is still appropriate!

Dan

Bang on Dan. Will wait until the film is out and hope it ties in with Series 5!

I've been ultra topical - two gags about Jacqui Smith, one about George Michael and the Royal engagement.

Three sketches
- Egypt (has a good stereotyping gag in it)
- phone hacking (more Kate Middleton)
- And finally

Various one liners - including predictable one about the protest in New cross Library, one about ASBO badge of honour etc

Lots of lines for NewsFox - but we all will have done the same ones and they will decide that it's not such a good idea after all

Having spent all weekend trawling the papers and finding little inspiration, I decided to do my sketch on the Chinese State Broadcaster using footage from the film Top Gun and passing it off as footage of a Chinese military excercise.

What you haven't heard about that? Really? It was on the world service news at about 3:00am on Sunday. I thought we'd all be using that one.

Christ, I don't stand a chance do I?

Quote: Trabs @ February 9 2011, 9:39 PM GMT

Having spent all weekend trawling the papers and finding little inspiration, I decided to do my sketch on the Chinese State Broadcaster using footage from the film Top Gun and passing it off as footage of a Chinese military excercise.

What you haven't heard about that? Really? It was on the world service news at about 3:00am on Sunday. I thought we'd all be using that one.

Christ, I don't stand a chance do I?

Tek my bleth away

I didn't get any sketches done (just wasn't in a writing mood - no inspiration forthcoming) Had to make do with a page of one liners (which looking back weren't brilliant).

Just reading through the new posts it would appear the new features pan out as follows:

Nearly everyone did these ones:
The 60-second Interview (Classic Miles-Interviewee sketch, probably a woman)
The Newsjack App (Re-worked vox-pops)
NewsFox (or at least sent in some stings)

Several kept it old school and sent in:
Corrections
And finally...

A few brave souls branched out into the new feature:
Newsjack Films

And absolutely no-one sent in stuff for:
The Newsjack Analyst
NewsDog

So if like me you choose 3 from the top and one from the middle our chances are approximately 400:1. If you wisely saw the way the wind was blowing and went for any of the bottom two your odds must be pretty good...

If they only got crap for any of the new features we won't hear those new features.

I take it from posts so far that no-one has heard anything yet so I assume we are all still in the game.