Would I Lie To You? - Series 3 Page 13

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 17 2009, 3:26 PM BST

Yeah-explain that he's funny! Ha, checkmate!

Funny looking. Yahtzee!

Titter-ific. House!

Weren't half of the people on this episode on Annually Retentive at some point? I spent the whole episode imagining the horrible things they say in the green room to each other.

http://twitter.com/omid9/statuses/4057258688

Yay!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 16 2009, 2:49 PM BST

I think some just don't like the idea of the host joining in so much, for whatever reason.

No.. I have no problem with the host joining in. Case in point: Mock the Week. Without Dara, who joins in quite a lot, it would be complete shit (and it's starting to get there anyways)

The difference? Dara O'Briain is a genuinely funny guy, who seems natural. Brydon, is just a cringe inducing, cheesy guy who is often uncomfortable to watch and always annoying. He just comes across way too earnest and pathetic in his need for people to find him funny and entertaining and always seems to be making groaner "wise cracks" rather than being funny in a smooth, natural way.

Also, Dara manages to deliver brilliant jokes without drawing too much attention to himself and distracting from the flow of the conversation. Brydon seems like he would prefer a dark room and a spotlight on him when he starts talking, and that's the effect he creates.

The bottom line is that Rob Brydon is a brilliant comedy actor, but he's not a natural comic or wit.

But what would Ronnie Corbett say about it, if he were here now?
:)

Quote: Sal Paradise @ September 18 2009, 8:17 AM BST

The difference? Dara O'Briain is a genuinely funny guy, who seems natural. Brydon, is just a cringe inducing, cheesy guy who is often uncomfortable to watch and always annoying. He just comes across way too earnest and pathetic in his need for people to find him funny and entertaining and always seems to be making groaner "wise cracks" rather than being funny in a smooth, natural way.

The two shows have very different formats too. Mock The Week is an ensemble show with everyone taking part - it's almost a 7-member team playing against modern society rather than 2x 3-person teams and a host. Would I Lie To You?, on the other hand, is squarely team vs team as they're actually trying to trick each other.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ September 18 2009, 8:17 AM BST

Brydon, is just a cringe inducing, cheesy guy who is often uncomfortable to watch and always annoying.

Obviously not to me though, otherwise I wouldn't have put what I did earlier.

Quote: Aaron @ September 18 2009, 12:33 PM BST

The two shows have very different formats too. Mock The Week is an ensemble show with everyone taking part - it's almost a 7-member team playing against modern society rather than 2x 3-person teams and a host. Would I Lie To You?, on the other hand, is squarely team vs team as they're actually trying to trick each other.

Surely you've at least noticed how desperate he seems? But even with him as host, this show is pure awesome. Gives me some hope that we all really are interesting.

Who, Brydon desperate? Yes. That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying all along.

Quote: Aaron @ September 18 2009, 5:15 PM BST

Who, Brydon desperate? Yes. That's pretty much exactly what I've been saying all along.

It's a comic persona, not true desperation. But I suppose if it irritates and doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work.

And therein lies the key. A comic persona is distracting for a host.

Whether it's "him" or a "comic persona" is neither being discussed, nor is it relevant. "Desperate" is how thepersonwhoisreallyRobBrydon is on this particular programme.