Would I Lie To You? - Series 3 Page 14

Quote: Sal Paradise @ September 18 2009, 6:18 PM BST

And therein lies the key. A comic persona is distracting for a host.

For some, as has been shown on here, yes. Just a question of differing tastes, rather than anyone being wrong or right.

Quote: Aaron @ September 18 2009, 6:19 PM BST

Whether it's "him" or a "comic persona" is neither being discussed, nor is it relevant.

From what I read, I got the impression people thought it was really him, rather than an irritating, to some, persona he wears. So it is, as far as I'm concerned, a relevant point for me to comment on.

His style evidently doesn't work for many. Though perhaps, if we didn't have a previous host to hold him up against, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 18 2009, 6:22 PM BST

Though perhaps, if we didn't have a previous host to hold him up against, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Perhaps, but we do... and Angus was better. Indeed just as he was better than every guest host there's been or will ever be on HIGNFY (not my words, Matthew, the words of Jeremy Clarkson!).

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 8:57 PM BST

(the words of Jeremy Clarkson!).

Epic fail. :(

Laughing out loud

I don't know, Widde was pure class.

Maybe the issue isn't so much the previous host, but his previous "panel show". Lord knows it's been distracting me. Or maybe we're just pointlessly looking for reasons when it really is as simple as Brydon being a sucky host.

The Widdecombe/Carr sparring team (ahem) was superb. Some of the funniest TV the BBC have ever broadcast.

Another good episode tonight, I think the consistency of the series is something that has surprised me the most.

Brydon kept the impressions and camera mugging to a minimum and seemed more relaxed and confident in his role of host.

Bizarrely, the non-comedy guests, Chris Hoy and Gabby Logan, were as entertaining if not moreso then Ronni and Danny. The bicycle on the moon and the pet birthday cards were both delivered with aplomb. (And I don't use the word aplomb very much - well technically, this is the first time).

Yes the pet birthday card bit was the best, I do actually quite like that everyone takes the game really seriously in this show.

I love that they keep giving David party based lies to try and make sound plausible.
Gawd bless him.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 22 2009, 12:22 AM BST

Bizarrely, the non-comedy guests, Chris Hoy and Gabby Logan, were as entertaining if not moreso then Ronni and Danny. The bicycle on the moon and the pet birthday cards were both delivered with aplomb. (And I don't use the word aplomb very much - well technically, this is the first time).

Not sure it's bizarre - I think this show works best with "non-com" guests. I like watching for a mix of oddball celeb guff and some comic riffing from the mainstays. If it was all comedians it wouldn't work as well.

While I'm on - I think Deayton was a more natural host for this show, purely because he has a long-established persona as arch panel host and that is how he is best known. Brydon's more established persona is that of a rather knowing performer. It's harder for us as an audience to buy into what he says.

Quote: zooo @ September 22 2009, 12:34 AM BST

I love that they keep giving David party based lies to try and make sound plausible.
Gawd bless him.

I really thought that one was true! If he was having an all-night party I imagine there would be about 8 people there (several from this website).

Yes I agree that Deayton was more suited. I am curious as to how much Brydon says if off the autocue (just saying this I feel sad), in particular I wonder if the big headed comments he often comes out with were written for him. However, I think one advantage of not having him is that there seems to be a bit more banter between everyone and it feels a little bit like They Think It's All Over.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ September 18 2009, 8:17 AM BST

Brydon, is just a cringe inducing, cheesy guy who is often uncomfortable to watch and always annoying. He just comes across way too earnest and pathetic in his need for people to find him funny and entertaining and always seems to be making groaner "wise cracks" rather than being funny in a smooth, natural way.

This is pretty much my opinion of him, too. It wasn't long ago that he was very over-exposed, too, which made for an unhappy combination of "too much of" and " a bad thing".

The best bit for me this week had to be them talking about Ronni's robot:

David: "No master, sexual acts are forbidden"
Lee: How come when you say it David I feel like I'm being turned down by C3PO?

Thought it was a strong episode and all of the guests were solid. Brydon also did nothing wrong.

Re: Deayton/Brydon, the former also has that deadpan delivery which is so, so perfect for a game where you're trying to bluff your oponents. It fitted in with the rest of the show so well. Brydon's knowing humour just does not fit in with it at all. IMO.

(I may have already made that point.)

Good episode though.