Would I Lie To You? - Series 3 Page 15

Quote: Nick @ September 22 2009, 5:23 PM BST

Brydon also did nothing wrong.

That makes me think of those ads; "no cough medicine is more effective than..." . They can say that because cough medicines don't do anything. A bit like Brydon.

Not a bad episode... I was expecting more from Ronni Ancona though. Oh well. Just one more episode to go.

Quote: Badge @ September 22 2009, 12:36 AM BST

I think Deayton was a more natural host for this show, purely because he has a long-established persona as arch panel host and that is how he is best known. Brydon's more established persona is that of a rather knowing performer. It's harder for us as an audience to buy into what he says.

Quote: Aaron @ September 22 2009, 5:26 PM BST

Re: Deayton/Brydon, the former also has that deadpan delivery which is so, so perfect for a game where you're trying to bluff your opponents. It fitted in with the rest of the show so well. Brydon's knowing humour just does not fit in with it at all. IMO.

Make a note of the date again Aaron. We agree!

Errr

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 22 2009, 12:22 AM BST

Bizarrely, the non-comedy guests, Chris Hoy and Gabby Logan, were as entertaining if not moreso then Ronni and Danny. The bicycle on the moon and the pet birthday cards were both delivered with aplomb. (And I don't use the word aplomb very much - well technically, this is the first time).

Technically, that is the second time...

;)

Dan

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ September 22 2009, 12:22 AM BST

Bizarrely, the non-comedy guests, Chris Hoy and Gabby Logan, were as entertaining if not moreso then Ronni and Danny. The bicycle on the moon and the pet birthday cards were both delivered with aplomb. (And I don't use the word aplomb very much - well technically, this is the first time).

It's not so bizarre if you think about it. Anyone can be funny when trying to explain or defend either the ridiculous lie a comedy writer has invented for them or a funny truth from their life. The comedy is built into the situation, and basically anybody can be funny when trying to explain those lies/truths. I think the non-comedy actors come across more natural sometimes (not trying to wisecrack) and this ends up very funny... Like a child trying to lie to his teacher.

I thought Danny was funny, but Ronni was basically mute.

When did Danny Wallace become amusing? I was frankly shocked by this development.

I think with all these panel shows there is a danger of over-analysing them (hypocrite, me?). They're not the highest form of comedy, nor frankly are they aspiring to be. They give us some cheap, throwaway laughs and that's it. These are shows which are akin to having a laugh with your mates down the pub (but without the vomiting, strippers, random violence or consensual sodomy).

I thought the researchers came up with far too obvious lies this week. How on earth (no pun intended!) was Chris Hoy supposed to convince them NASA wanted to spend Billions for him to cycle on the Moon?!

And then Danny Wallace's one was clearly related to Chris being there so that was also obviously a lie too. Great show but it's much more fun when it's a chess match of them trying to pick them apart.

Quote: ShoePie @ September 24 2009, 4:00 PM BST

I thought the researchers came up with far too obvious lies this week. How on earth (no pun intended!) was Chris Hoy supposed to convince them NASA wanted to spend Billions for him to cycle on the Moon?!

I believed that one. :$

Quote: zooo @ September 24 2009, 4:01 PM BST

I believed that one. :$

Ooops!! :$ I suppose they might have done... :)

Hehe. Was having a thick day.

Quote: ShoePie @ September 24 2009, 4:00 PM BST

And then Danny Wallace's one was clearly related to Chris being there so that was also obviously a lie too. Great show but it's much more fun when it's a chess match of them trying to pick them apart.

I thought exactly the same thing, usually I'd be in two minds about the statements but you could tell that those two were lies, especially the Moon one.