Current radio comedy Page 16

All Bar Luke: I'm really upset this has ended. But at least Tim Key sent the character out on a high.

Ed Reardon's Week - It's great. Hurry up and get to Series 6 as it is as good as ever. The most recent episode mocking Radio 4's panel games was of particular joy.

Other current radio (please everyone post your thoughts on these too):

7 Day Sunday: bit of a mess in the presenting department.

Act Your Age: I'm still not a fan, but not as bad as it used to be.

House On Fire: I suspect this one has passed most people by. I think it's ok. Emma Pierson sounds well cute in it, so that's one tick in its favour in my book.

Just A Minute: fun, but Nicholas Parsons continues to annoy me as he always has.

Mark Thomas: Some fun stuff, but its an awkward mix between funny items and genuine political ideas at the moment. Plus, as Ian says above, it's perhaps a bit more scripted than it lets on.

The News Quiz: this seems to be on a bit of a golden run at the moment.

Newsjack: continues to improve each week and is now of the quality that it should be given a Radio 4 repeat in my opinion. Lewis MacLeod's Gordon Brown impressions are brilliant.

On The Blog: Loving the series and the fact, now Andrew is allowed out into the wider world, he is causing chaos for all those around him.

By the way, for those interested, Bleak Expectations has (un-surprisingly) been recommissioned and will be back for a new series towards the end of the year.

Quote: Mark @ February 6 2010, 2:18 PM GMT

The News Quiz: this seems to be on a bit of a golden run at the moment.

Mmm. It's always worth a listen, but strikes me a bit as the same old same old. Same targets, same panellists, same jokes.

Quote: Mark @ February 6 2010, 2:18 PM GMT

House On Fire: I suspect this one has passed most people by. I think it's ok. Emma Pierson sounds well cute in it, so that's one tick in its favour in my book.

This passed me by completely. Did it only have a couple of episodes? Seems to be a trend in Radio 4 shows at the moment to give them abreviated runs. The Lenny Henry sitcom didn't last long, and the submarine show only ran for two episodes... Perhaps television could learn from this? And start shorter runs?

Quote: chipolata @ February 8 2010, 10:11 AM GMT

Perhaps television could learn from this? And start shorter runs?

Shorter than six episodes? That's already on the short side!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2010, 10:31 AM GMT

Shorter than six episodes? That's already on the short side!

The Thick Of It started with three. As did the hospital thing starring Jo Brand. It just seems to me that when you have a show that doesn't work, six episodes is an eternity. See The Persuaonists for further details.

Quote: chipolata @ February 8 2010, 10:35 AM GMT

The Thick Of It started with three. As did the hospital thing starring Jo Brand. It just seems to me that when you have a show that doesn't work, six episodes is an eternity. See The Persuaonists for further details.

Some series also just need an episode or two to bed in though. Plus you don't have to actually carry on watching a show you don't like! Maybe an episode or two as a pilot, then, if successful, a full, mighty, enormous six episodes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 8 2010, 10:38 AM GMT

Some series also just need an episode or two to bed in though. Plus you don't have to actually carry on watching a show you don't like!

I quite agree, but don't tell Aaron! He believes you should watch every single episode of even comedies you despise!

I think the point I'm making relates to a point you made in The Persuaonists thread. It got bad reviews from the start and started to lose viewers. And with each episode it's reputation sank lower and lower, taking with it the credibility of all those involved. If it was given a shorter run, they could have gone away, fixed the problems, and come back with something better. Maybe.

I enjoyed Tuesday's Act Your Age, especially the Cat Facts towards the end. :)

Less impressed by the literary quiz they have on Wednesdays at 6:30. I don't mind it, but IMO it's not funny enough to warrant the slot.

Quote: chipolata @ February 11 2010, 10:54 AM GMT

Less impressed by the literary quiz they have on Wednesdays at 6:30. I don't mind it, but IMO it's not funny enough to warrant the slot.

If you are referring to The Write Stuff, we don't consider it to be an actual comedy. It is a panel show more akin to Quote Unquote.

Quote: chipolata @ February 11 2010, 10:54 AM GMT

First time I'd heard Act Your Age the other night and I rather enjoyed it. Nice mix of the modern and the trad.And Simon Mayo.

I've recorded The Write Stuff for later listening as Tibor Fischer was on it. I like him.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 11 2010, 2:16 PM GMT

If you are referring to The Write Stuff, we don't consider it to be an actual comedy.

Is that the royal 'we'? Because it was recorded in front of an audience and many of the rounds are clearly designed to get laughs. And it's funnier than Quote Unquote.

Fight!

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 11 2010, 2:32 PM GMT

Fight!

It's like the Rumble in the Jungle all over again!

Quote: chipolata @ February 11 2010, 2:47 PM GMT

It's like the Rumble in the Jungle all over again!

Was that also a row over classification of radio 4 panel shows?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 11 2010, 2:49 PM GMT

Was that also a row over classification of radio 4 panel shows?

I believe there was friction between Ali and Foreman as to whether Willie Rushton was a worthy addition to ISIHAC.

Quote: chipolata @ February 11 2010, 2:58 PM GMT

I believe there was friction between Ali and Foreman as to whether Willie Rushton was a worthy addition to ISIHAC.

I'll wager that was bloody Foreman showing dissent.