Current radio comedy Page 15

Do you mean in this series?

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 21 2010, 2:09 PM GMT

Do you mean in this series?

I was under the impression he'd only made on appearence (as mentioned on the Collings & Herrin podcast). I think it was when he was recorded at Edinburgh.

That was broadcast last year.

Cheers - Thought I must've missed it. I'll have a hunt around to see if it's available anywhere.

There re-running After Henry on BBC Radio 7 with Prunella Scales on Tuesday at 9am.

Last night was the first time I really listened to the submarine sitcom, Deep Trouble. Not bad, but no real laugh out loud moments for me. Too generic to truly grab me.

Down the Line started last night on BBC Radio 7.

Did anyone else listen to The News Quiz on Friday? A fairly average show until the Buckfast came out, but then it became rather fun indeed.

I'm also currently loving Ed Reardon's Week and On The Blog.

Quote: Mark @ January 26 2010, 1:33 AM GMT

Did anyone else listen to The News Quiz on Friday? A fairly average show until the Buckfast came out, but then it became rather fun indeed.

Yes it become more lively following the application of booze - mind you I suppose most comedies would.

Listened to the second Act Your Age tonight. Thought it was better than last week. Enjoyed the ancedotes round quite a bit.

Quote: Mark @ January 26 2010, 1:33 AM GMT

A fairly average show until the Buckfast came out, but then it became rather fun indeed.

One of my pet hates is the radio4 jokey attitude to alcohol, compared to all other drugs.

Did anyone listen to Mordrin McDonald last night? I thought it was quite good. Although maybe it is the Absolutely fan in me talking because Gordon Kennedy and Jack Docherty were in it.

Quote: Griff @ January 26 2010, 9:55 PM GMT

I hadn't heard Act Your Age before. It had got a rough press on here so I was expecting it to be poor but actually I quite enjoyed it.

I've enjoyed it from the get go. Last nights was another pleasant thirty minutes. And nice to see Eddie Large is still going, especially as I seem to recall Sid Little now works in a warehouse.

I'm not a huge Mark Thomas fan, but The Manifesto is an enjoyable show. The targets are obvious, but Thomas has nice chemistry with the studio audience and there were quite a few laugh out loud moment. I particularly enjoyed the guy between two bankers.

Quote: chipolata @ February 4 2010, 7:03 PM GMT

I'm not a huge Mark Thomas fan, but The Manifesto is an enjoyable show. The targets are obvious, but Thomas has nice chemistry with the studio audience and there were quite a few laugh out loud moment. I particularly enjoyed the guy between two bankers.

Yes I thought it was good, but having said that I have followed the show for some time, seeing two live performances (one at the Fringe, one in Stockton-on-Tees) and now having a copy of the new book, I can tell you that it appears there is some pre-prepared material.

For example, the bit about the maximum wage. That was already voted as a policy in the manifesto - four times. Once in Eastleigh, once in Galway, once in Edinburgh and once in London. Also, he mentioned it in his stand-up shows and it features in the new book.

Like having a conversation on someone who's had too much dope, who's reacting well, well behind everyone else, I've recently caught up with:

Giles Wemmbley-Hogg Goes Off Series 4(?) -- Like the new conceit of him owning a travel agent and three of the four episodes were very good. The second 'being knocked out and having a dream' episode -- what the f**k was all that about?! Didn't work at all for me and seemed *very* lazy for a second episode after just setting the whole travel agent thing up.

The Unbelievable Truth -- Really, *really* excellent in parts this last series. Mitchell is getting better and better as a host and it had me in stitches, especially the New Year's Eve QI special.

All Bar Luke Christmas Special -- I love All Bar Luke, so I was gutted when the announcer announced it as the last episode. Started not as strongly as the other (15-minute) episodes, but totally dragged me in later on and I was lots-of happy for Luke and how they finished it all. It was a lesson of perfection in how to do pathos. Kudos. And other words ending in -os.

Ed Reardon's Week -- Series 1. I've never really got around to listening to ERW but heard series 5 last year and managed to finally get around to listening to series 1. This is extremely well-written and very enjoyable indeed. I'll get around to listening to series 6 soon.

Dan