Current radio comedy Page 20

Quote: Sylvia @ March 7 2010, 10:45 PM GMT

went to the recording of the new Simon Nye for radio4 this evening - barely enough people to fill the downstairs of the radio theatre, but still a jolly crowd.

Cast included Caroline Quentin, Matthew Horne, Phil Cornwell, Mel Hudson, daughter from Lead Balloon, and a young man doing the extra voices.

Well, perhaps we could have done with a bit more warming up, but although v clever, not many laugh out loud bits.
Anyone else there tonight from the forum??

What's it about? Sounds like a family-based sitcom? I look forward to hearing it on the radio.

Quote: chipolata @ March 3 2010, 11:29 AM GMT

I listened to Count Arthur Strong last night and can't remember anything that happened in it, other than Sue Perkins might have been in it doing a number of comedy voices.

That's the Count for you, comedy Marmite.

Me? One of the greatest comic creations !

Anyone who disagrees well, words fail to escape me.

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 8 2010, 11:04 PM GMT

That's the Count for you, comedy Marmite.

No. I disagree. I sort of like him, but not to any major degree. To be, Comedy Marmite would be somebody like The Mighty Boosh.

Quote: chipolata @ March 9 2010, 12:01 PM GMT

No. I disagree. I sort of like him, but not to any major degree. To be, Comedy Marmite would be somebody like The Mighty Boosh.

Or Michael McIntyre ? :)

Never Seen Star Wars last night was okay. It's a middling show that passes the time. And Marcus Brigstocke isn't quite as annoying on that as he is on some other things.

I rather enjoyed Party just. The communications czar stuff made me laugh out loud, and Tim Key was very good. Haven't heard him act before but he acquitted himself well. I look forward to next weeks episode.

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2010, 6:59 PM GMT

I rather enjoyed Party just. The communications czar stuff made me laugh out loud, and Tim Key was very good. Haven't heard him act before but he acquitted himself well. I look forward to next weeks episode.

Must admit that I didn't have high expectations but quite enjoyed it and laughed a good few times.

Just listening to Tom Wirgglesworth's "An Open Letter to Richard Branson", very funny and touching.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r673j

Another good Milton Jones last night. Plenty of laughs and plenty of groans.

Wasn't quite as impressed with Party this week, but still a good show. Tim Keys is a particular standout for me. And at the moment the fact it's all done in one scene still feels fresh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/shows/shows/william_greg

Tickets just gone on offer for this show starring excellent sketch comedians, Will Andrews and Greg McHugh. A R4 sketch pilot, which will hopefully lead to a series.

:)

Another very good episode of Party. Early days yet, but this is might end up being my favourite radio sitcom of the year.

Quote: chipolata @ March 24 2010, 7:32 PM GMT

Another very good episode of Party. Early days yet, but this is might end up being my favourite radio sitcom of the year.

Really enjoyed the Party tonight, very funny.

However the 11pm slot didn't fare so well, some unfunny rubbish about two Australians in London and then Nick Mohammed's "Quarters" which appeared to contain no jokes, terrible characters and the worst accents since Dick Van Dyke, dire stuff (sorry Nick).

Quote: chipolata @ March 10 2010, 10:25 AM GMT

Never Seen Star Wars last night was okay. It's a middling show that passes the time. And Marcus Brigstocke isn't quite as annoying on that as he is on some other things.

I usually find him to be pretty annoying, but when he's teamed up with Jenny Eclair, then he becomes charming and agreeable; in comparison to her.

I've been enjoying Party. I especially enjoyed last week's episode. Just the way all the plots wove into each other was great.

In terms of forthcoming radio shows, tonight I'm going to Gateshead for a recording of Mark Steel's in Town. I wanted to write a review of it, but Mark (the BCG Mark, not Mark Steel) told me that BBC don't like it when shows are reviewed before they have been edited.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 25 2010, 2:57 PM GMT

the BBC don't like it when shows are reviewed before they have been edited.

...Or indeed (in the case of their recent TV sitcom output) after they've been broadcast.