- 11th January: Comedy.co.uk Awards 2020 shortlist
- 2009 - 2020
- BBC Radio 4
- 58 (10 series)
- Mark Steel
- Mark Steel
- Julia McKenzie, Sam Bryant, Ed Morrish and Carl Cooper
Comedian Mark Steel visits a selection of different towns from across the UK and delves into their history, people and idiosyncrasies to try to work out what ingredients combine to make the place distinctive.
He creates a bespoke stand-up show for that community and then performs the show in front of a local audience in a celebration of the sort of places in Britain which are generally less visited as tourist attractions. Each has their own fascinating stories to tell with inhabitants who are passionate about what their home has to offer.
Amongst the topics Mark has touched upon so far include the canals of Skipton, a concrete hippo in Walsall, a civil war currently being waged in Penzance, a violent Orkney ball game known as the "Kirkwall Ba", and the Isle of Portland's strong dislike of a certain fluffy animal beginning with the letter "R".
- Production company
- Theme music is Eat My Goal by Collapsed Lung (Series 1-3); Rock This Town by Stray Cats (Series 4-7).
- Laugh track
- Live audience
- First broadcast
- Wednesday 18th March 2009 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Last new broadcast
- Thursday 26th November 2020 on BBC Radio 4 at 6:30pm
- Upcoming repeats
- Series 7 Episode 4: Saturday at 11pm on Radio 4 Extra