Current radio comedy Page 11

Quote: Nogget @ December 10 2009, 12:10 PM GMT

Maybe if you say what you do like, then we can identify why she isn't 'working' for you. It must be said though, from what I've read, there aren't that many of us who like her, and a lot of responses seem openly hostile.

Radio wise, I love the panel shows "Just a Minute" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", and comedy drama/sitcom wise, love Milton Jones, like "Hut 33", quite liked the airline one who's name escapes me now, can take or leave "the Now Show" and "the News Quiz" was a bit perplexed by most of "Cowards", love "That Mitchell and Webb Sound", erm, what else has their been recently?

I guess in general I enjoy the panel shows and more stand up orientated stuff rather than sketch shows, although when they are done well (e.g. Mitchell and Webb) then they can be fantastic.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 10 2009, 12:52 PM GMT

Radio wise, I love the panel shows "Just a Minute" and "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", and comedy drama/sitcom wise, love Milton Jones, like "Hut 33", quite liked the airline one who's name escapes me now, can take or leave "the Now Show" and "the News Quiz" was a bit perplexed by most of "Cowards", love "That Mitchell and Webb Sound", erm, what else has their been recently?

I guess in general I enjoy the panel shows and more stand up orientated stuff rather than sketch shows, although when they are done well (e.g. Mitchell and Webb) then they can be fantastic.

The one with the airline is "Cabin Pressure".

I had mixed reactions to Laura Solon. I liked her time-traveller sketch, but most of bit was so-so.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 1:01 PM GMT

I've been re-listening to the Little Britain radio episodes recently (due to the poor selection of radio comedy CDs at my library) and I have to say it's brilliant. Much more surreal, much less nasty than the (later) TV series. You can see why it was such a hit.

Agreed. The radio stuff was great. As was the first TV series. Then success came in buckets and comic inspiration buggered off out the back door.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 10 2009, 12:52 PM GMT

Well perhaps Laura is not traditional enough for you, since most of your list is of a very traditional format, and other than TM&WS could have been written any time in the last 30+ years. Perhaps you like a wealth of gags.

Quote: Nogget @ December 10 2009, 2:00 PM GMT

Well perhaps Laura is not traditional enough for you, since most of your list is of a very traditional format, and other than TM&WS could have been written any time in the last 30+ years. Perhaps you like a wealth of gags.

It's true I do like gags but then again I love Peep Show, Green Wing, Black Books, League Of Gentlemen, etc, so I'm happy to watch other stuff, maybe I have a problem with the radio format?

What did people think of Andy Zaltzman's History Of The Third Millennium? I thought it had its moments, in particular the sketch featuring the uncover Al Qaeda report.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 11 2009, 9:57 AM GMT

What did people think of Andy Zaltzman's History Of The Third Millennium? I thought it had its moments, in particular the sketch featuring the uncover Al Qaeda report.

I love Andy Zaltzman, his show in Radio 5Live "It's the Ashes" with Paul Sinha (another ace comic) was one of the funniest hours of comedy and genuine good fun I've heard in a long time.

This show seemed to take a little while to find it's feet but it appears to be sharper and more satirical than either the New Quiz or the Now Show (not hard really as they've both become a bit too warm and familiar) and Andy (I can call him by his first name as I play football with him) is perfect for this sort of thing.

It was a sad episode of Undone tonight - one of the main characters has been killed off.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 12 2009, 8:57 PM GMT

It was a sad episode of Undone tonight - one of the main characters has been killed off.

I've yet to hear one episode of Undone yet. Is it just on BBC7?

As for sneakypeeks last night...mmm. Bit better than last week, although I can't help but feel the femme fatale character is miscast. The woman sounds like a geek. Not a sexy sex bomb.

They're the best kind of sex bomb...

Dan

Yes and no. Normally, yes. But in Sneakypeeks case, no.

Quote: chipolata @ December 16 2009, 11:58 AM GMT

I've yet to hear one episode of Undone yet. Is it just on BBC7?

Yes, it is a BBC Radio 7 show.

The entire third series so far is currently on the iPlayer here.

The BCG has just learned that Mark Steel's in Town, one of my favourite comedy shows this year, has been given a second series. Towns that will feature in series two will be Dartford, Wilmslow, Dumfries, Gateshead, Penzance and Kirkwall.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 17 2009, 7:38 AM GMT

The BCG has just learned that Mark Steel's in Town, one of my favourite comedy shows this year, has been given a second series. Towns that will feature in series two will be Dartford, Wilmslow, Dumfries, Gateshead, Penzance and Kirkwall.

I'm somewhat torn between liking Steel for his unusual and quirky shows, and disdaining him for his frequent factual innacuracies and heavy bias.

Interesting edition of The Now Show - it's not often you here an entire sketch done as a poem.