Current radio comedy Page 10

I did enjoy the Mighty Boosh's Radio 2 documentary on the Monty Python albums. Contains some really interesting stuff.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 9 2009, 10:12 AM GMT

I did enjoy the Mighty Boosh's Radio 2 documentary on the Monty Python albums. Contains some really interesting stuff.

I've recorded that for later listening. The Python albums are the best of Python. They've held up well in a way that the TV shows haven't.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 9 2009, 10:14 AM GMT

I've recorded that for later listening. The Python albums are the best of Python. They've held up well in a way that the TV shows haven't.

Agreed. Partly because many of the sketches were so wordy in the first place, they worked better without the visuals. Also, they tended to re-write and tighten a lot of the sketches when they came to re-record them for the albums. Two of my favourite Python sketches - 'Bookshop' and the "advertising string" one - I'm not even sure if they ever even made it into the TV series. Anyway, they certainly are highlights of the albums.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 9 2009, 10:18 AM GMT

Two of my favourite Python sketches - 'Bookshop' and the advertising string one - I'm not even sure if they ever even made it into the TV series. If so, they certainly are highlights of the albums.

From the last studio album, 'Contractual Obligation Album'. The Bookshop sketch
pre-dates Python, originally performed in 'At Last the 1948 Show'.

Always loved the 'Oliver Cromwell', 'Never Be Rude To An Arab' and, of course, 'Sit On My Face'. :)

Some of my favourite pieces include "Eric the Half a Bee", "I Like Chinese" and the "Medical Love Song".

Ministry of Silly Walks wasn't so good on the LP.

Further to earlier talk about Red Dwarf books, BBC7 is broadcasting them at the mo, read by Chris 'Rimmer' Barrie.

Laura Solon continues to frustrate me. She's clearly very talented, but something about this series just hasn't jelled. There are some very funny bits (the judgemental neighbour, the horrible French people) but a lot of it is instantly forgettable. She needs to go back to the drawing board.

Quote: chipolata @ December 10 2009, 10:08 AM GMT

Laura Solon continues to frustrate me. She's clearly very talented, but something about this series just hasn't jelled. There are some very funny bits (the judgemental neighbour, the horrible French people) but a lot of it is instantly forgettable. She needs to go back to the drawing board.

Laura Solon is talented, in so much as she can do a lot of "funny" voices, but she really isn't funny IMHO and her current show contains only a wafer thin amount of funny material.

Where are the jokes? Some of the sketches yesterday just petered out into nothingness and those that didn't seemed to contain the weakest of premises and the laziest of gags, which seems strange as she's got some reasonable writers on the show's credits.

As I said before I like 50% of "Laura Solon's Talking and Not Talking", the "Not Talking" bit.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 10:50 AM GMT

I wasn't massively convinced about SneakyPeeks though. It was enjoyable enough but nothing special.

One problem I had with SneakiePeeks is that there seemed such a lot of cast members from Clare in the Community, so I kept thinking: what's this got to do with social workers? Plus stuff like the Biship being whipped seemed old hat.

Quote: Griff @ December 10 2009, 10:50 AM GMT

I enjoyed the Laura Solon show last night.

It's enjoyable. I just expect so much better from her.

I like the Laura Solon show quite a bit. There's some real quirkiness going on there, and some welcome originality. Where else can you hear a frightfully posh Arga lady off her 'boobs' on acid?

I don't mean this to sound confrontational but can the people who enjoy Laura Solon tell me what they are actually laughing at, cos I just don't get it. To me she's like a spoilt child being allowed to do all her "funny" voices but with no actual funny point to them.

Do you laugh at the turns of phrase? The characterisation? What is it that makes you laugh?

As I say, I don't mean this in an argumentative way, comedy is subjective and I'd just like to know what people find funny as to me it just doesn't raise any laughs (and I've tried, I've listened to 3 shows and smiled maybe once or twice).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 10 2009, 11:55 AM GMT

I don't mean this to sound confrontational but can the people who enjoy Laura Solon tell me what they are actually laughing at, cos I just don't get it.

Sometimes explaining why you find something funny is very difficult. Like defining an elephant. It's often easier to explain why you think something isn't funny.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 10 2009, 11:55 AM GMT

I don't mean this to sound confrontational but can the people who enjoy Laura Solon tell me what they are actually laughing at, cos I just don't get it.

Maybe if you say what you do like, then we can identify why she isn't 'working' for you. It must be said though, from what I've read, there aren't that many of us who like her, and a lot of responses seem openly hostile.

Quote: Nogget @ December 10 2009, 12:10 PM GMT

Maybe if you say what you do like, then we can identify why she isn't 'working' for you. It must be said though, from what I've read, there aren't that many of us who like her, and a lot of responses seem openly hostile.

My criticism of her is that there's a touch of the little Britain's about her. She's a very gifted performer who has created some vivid and memorable characters, however she's relying upon them a little too much instead of trying new things. And some of the recurring characters just aren't strong enough to stand up to repeat business.