Newsjack - Series 6 Page 8

Quote: amarsandhu @ February 20 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

It's usually Thursday afternoon, around 5ish, unless anyone is going to the recording tomorrow with a pad and pen?

I would have thought they'd email you back to say hey we love your sketch we may be paying you (I appreciate they record more material that they use and if your sketch doesn't make the final cut you don't get paid)

Quote: amarsandhu @ February 20 2012, 2:50 PM GMT

It's usually Thursday afternoon, around 5ish, unless anyone is going to the recording tomorrow with a pad and pen?

The recording's on Wednesday...

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 20 2012, 2:53 PM GMT

I would have thought they'd email you back to say hey we love your sketch we may be paying you (I appreciate they record more material that they use and if your sketch doesn't make the final cut you don't get paid)

They're busy putting a show together. I gather they contact near-misses after the show has been put to bed.

Well, I sent in one film trailer - whoop dee doo. But it's okay, I've cunningly built in the excuse for its inevitable failure by not making it particularly topical.

Quote: swerytd @ February 20 2012, 12:43 PM GMT

No, I'm pretty sure the BBC themselves have said in the past to avoid using .docx, cos I don't think they have the correct version of Office. Best avoid .docx if possible.

Dan

Hmmm, guess how ALL of my Newsjack submissions have been sent...! It obviously is readable enough for one-liners, but explains why none of my sketches have ever made the cut (yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

Quote: radiat10n @ February 20 2012, 3:32 PM GMT

Hmmm, guess how ALL of my Newsjack submissions have been sent...! It obviously is readable enough for one-liners, but explains why none of my sketches have ever made the cut (yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

They do try and read everything if they can. I just remember something about .docx being a pain in the arse. It certainly is for me, when my boss's boss sent me a .docx from his 'supported' workstation that brought my whole machine crashing down around it.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ February 20 2012, 3:36 PM GMT

They do try and read everything if they can. I just remember something about .docx being a pain in the arse. It certainly is for me, when my boss's boss sent me a .docx from his 'supported' workstation that brought my whole machine crashing down around it.

Dan

Remind me to get that clarified during the webchat on Friday...

The one-liners can be anything (as long as they are jokes), they don't HAVE to be topical do they?

Topical.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 20 2012, 3:48 PM GMT

The one-liners can be anything (as long as they are jokes), they don't HAVE to be topical do they?

Um. It is a topical news show.

My advice is - put yourself in their shoes:

It's 5pm on Tuesday. Just over 24 hours to go to a recording. You've got the backbone of the show in the sketches more or less sorted. You're looking to fill the gaps with some one-liners about the stories you missed. You open an e-mail with 12 one-liners on it. The first 6 are nothing about the news. How do you feel?

(Clue - on previous webchats they have said 'Don't just send us jokes from your stand-up routine')

And on the .docx format thing this is from their website:

Please send each sketch as a separate .doc or .rtf document ONLY, attached to an email.

Ask yourself how you'd feel about having to faff around with converting to .doc on your machine before reading it for the 27th time. Especially when you know at the sender's end it's just one scroll down on the 'Save as' menu to save it as a .doc file.

In short, give yourself the best possible chance and make sure they're not opening your document with a grimace on their face.

Quote: radiat10n @ February 20 2012, 3:32 PM GMT

I've always used .docx and have had sketches and one-liners on the show.

(Hmmmmmm..that was strangely arousing....)

Ok, but I listened to the majority of Series 5 the last few days, and I swear I heard some of the one-liners on the Jack-App which were just jokes, not topical jokes, hence the question.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 20 2012, 4:07 PM GMT

Ok, but I listened to the majority of Series 5 the last few days, and I swear I heard some of the one-liners on the Jack-App which were just jokes, not topical jokes, hence the question.

Maybe they were topical at the time.

They were, in all likelihood, tenuously topical.

Dan

"@NewsjackBBC - Writers! There will be a Newsjack webchat this Friday from 1-2pm. Further details (URL etc) soon."

I've just thought of a perfect alternative intro to one of my sketches - but it's too late to change it now.

Bugger.