Newsjack - Series 6 Page 5

Quote: Neithy @ February 19 2012, 6:09 AM GMT

Thank you! is that also the case for one liners? or is that generally just for use in The Newsjack App and Corrections?

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fit jokes and sketches to a "format", just make them as funny as you can, the lovely people at Newsjack will them work out how to fit it into the show, for instance they're not going to toss away a brilliant "News App" line just because you sent it in as a "Correction", they'll just adjust it to fit.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ February 19 2012, 10:43 AM GMT

I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fit jokes and sketches to a "format", just make them as funny as you can, the lovely people at Newsjack will them work out how to fit it into the show, for instance they're not going to toss away a brilliant "News App" line just because you sent it in as a "Correction", they'll just adjust it to fit.

Ah okay, thanks very much!

I've written my three sketches for the week. This time I've decided to do something a bit different. My idea is three sketches based on Time Team, in which the team are digging up the hole the goverment has dug themselves into. The sketches take place over the three day dig (i.e. sketch one - day one, sketch two - day two etc.)

The problem with these sketches are that they are bit of gamble as I'm putting all my eggs in one basket. If they don't like one, they won't like the other two and thus none of them will go on (no change there then). However, if they like one, chances are they'll like the other two and then there is a chance of getting all three sketches on.

Risky. I'd say just go with the one sketch. If they really like it, they'll suggest turning it into a runner themselves...

Djah, can't stop editing my sketches!

Struggling with Sketches.

One-liners are coming along a bit though.

Does anyone know if Newsjack can use a popular song in the show or is there some sort of copyright law that would prevent them from doing so?

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 19 2012, 6:57 PM GMT

Does anyone know if Newsjack can use a popular song in the show or is there some sort of copyright law that would prevent them from doing so?

If it's for the purpose of satire, I don't think there's a problem. However, Newsjack don't really do songs.

Edit: Oops, I think I misunderstood what you meant -- I thought you were talking about writing a spoof song.

Quote: AngieBaby @ February 19 2012, 6:57 PM GMT

They've said that the deadlines between finishing the edit and broadcast mean it's unfeasible to spend time clearing rights to any songs you're parodying, so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Dan

I've backed out of a couple of NewsFilm sketches/trailers due to use of well known soundtrack pieces. Expected it may have been a problem getting clearance!

Cheers for the replies all.

I've got three sketches ready to send off!

Still working on one-liners. Submitted my 2 sketches, as I don't have any more time to work on those, and I'm happy with them.

Quote: RJ @ February 19 2012, 2:20 PM GMT

Risky. I'd say just go with the one sketch. If they really like it, they'll suggest turning it into a runner themselves...

I doubt they would turn it into a running sketch. After all, they don't want to give a Channel 4 show too much publicity.

I'd avoid writing any sort of runner. Three separate sketches. Maybe even three different styles. Always try to show how versatile you can be (that's one of the key skills they're looking out for).