Newsjack - Series 6 Page 11

Quote: StephenM @ February 22 2012, 12:27 PM GMT

Don't know if you're following the Newsjack twitter feed but recommended it as several of the questions on here are answered by them directly.

Here are the relevant questions and answers from their Twitter account. Hope this helps!

Q: Should One Liners and Corrections be sent as one document or two?

A: "No, a single document is absolutely fine. (But if you've split them out, don't worry - that's not so much of a time-drain.)"

Q: Can I send in sketches in the .docx format?

A: "We really prefer not. Some of us can open them, others not. Sticking to the guidelines just means less faff all round...Please use .doc or .rtf only." (two tweet replies merged)

Q: I didn't get the auto-reply. Should I be worried?

A: "Don't worry. We've got your email."

Q: Do you notify people in advance of the broadcast if you're going to use their material?

A: "Yep - all writers who make the edit (plus those who get stuff recorded but cut) receive an email on Thursday early evening."

Q: Can Newsjack link to any old episodes of the show for new writers to hear?

A: "No: because of copyright. Rights agreements only cover 2 transmissions and a weeks podcasting. Not online in perpetuity."
(note: but there are 2 or 3 full episodes on YouTube, uploaded illegally they're not allowed to tell you promote, so you can listen to old episodes there)

I think it depends who is editing, a couple of series 5 deadline days had tweets like that :D

A question - I tweeted them but the Twitter lot are probably busy prepping recording...

Can we do NewsJack Film trailers for TV shows too? I swear there was one before to do with police procedural shows. Or is it a sketch aping a scene from a show?

Got something I want to go with, just wondering if they'd take it?

Have just given the rejects thread in 'Critique' a bump - would strongly recommend anybody who is new to NJ to have a look through this thread, especially Big Jack's mammoth post on page 14!

Quote: Feeoree @ February 22 2012, 2:40 PM GMT

I think it depends who is editing, a couple of series 5 deadline days had tweets like that :D

A question - I tweeted them but the Twitter lot are probably busy prepping recording...

Can we do NewsJack Film trailers for TV shows too? I swear there was one before to do with police procedural shows. Or is it a sketch aping a scene from a show?

Got something I want to go with, just wondering if they'd take it?

Maybe do it as if it's a TV show making the leap to the big screen?

Have there been any examples in the past, of writers getting multiple sketches/one-liners used during a single series of Newsjack?

Yes. It has been done. Look through the credits and you'll see the same names popping up during the same series (BCGers among them)

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 22 2012, 2:44 PM GMT

Have there been any examples in the past, of writers getting multiple sketches/one-liners used during a single series of Newsjack?

It'd be a bit weird if they didn't! Newsjack is supposed to nurture as well as to discover. Man.

Not in the same episode but over the series.

And that includes those who went on to be invited onto better and bigger oppos.

Don't think there has been anyone to get two sketches on one ep.

There have however been cases where people have got Sketches and One Liners/Jack Apps on the same ep. Either Mr Wolf or Mr Sweryt I think (or both!).

Quote: Feeoree @ February 22 2012, 7:37 PM GMT

I've had two credits on one show (sketch and monologue) and I'm pretty sure at least one other BCG poster is in the same camp.

<cough>

Dan

Quote: radiat10n @ February 22 2012, 2:43 PM GMT

Have just given the rejects thread in 'Critique' a bump - would strongly recommend anybody who is new to NJ to have a look through this thread, especially Big Jack's mammoth post on page 14!

Cheers rad - I was in a bad mood when I wrote it - a whole series without a single one liner!

There have however been cases where people have got Sketches and One Liners/Jack Apps on the same ep. Either Mr Wolf or Mr Sweryt I think (or both!).

Mr Wolf has included his legendary performance in his signature...

Anyone at the show tonight?

I'd be interested to know if my hilarious gag about Jordan being a model AND a country got on.

My sketches were

- John Terry
- Annoying the Agentinians
- A frequently imitated celebrity explaining the sun on sunday

One liners covered anything from titanic to redknapp to Natalie Cassidy...

Yep, I got two sketches on one show. Series 3, If I remember rightly. :)

I don't know about Sweryt, but I certainly got both a sketch and one-liner on the same programme (it's the only time I've ever got anything on Newsjack). It was Episode 4.1. The one liner was a correction about library closures. My sketch is on the forums.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 22 2012, 10:05 PM GMT

It was Episode 4.1. The one liner was a correction about library closures. My sketch is on the forums.

Ahh, yes! I heard both (I think that episode is currently on YouTube). The one liner and the sketch were both very funny.

OK as the show has passed I'll share my best correction I submitted:

Last series Newsjack stated that Andrew Lansley was planning reforms to the NHS, we'd like to apologise for suggesting that Andrew Lansley actually has a plan.

I was quite pleased at that, but seeing that NJ only performs three corrections per episode (as far as I can tell) and several hundred (at least) would have been submitted I'm not convinced it'd be in the top three.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ February 22 2012, 10:05 PM GMT

I don't know about Sweryt, but I certainly got both a sketch and one-liner on the same programme (it's the only time I've ever got anything on Newsjack). It was Episode 4.1. The one liner was a correction about library closures. My sketch is on the forums.

Yep, definitely on YouTube, and yes it is definitely a very funny sketch - it's fascinating to see how they transform a sketch - essentially they reduced the word count, added a joke to the middle and made the language more natural. Cheers for that!

I must admit I have one sketch I'm holding a candle for - it has the line 'what the koala?' which I personally love.