After You've Gone - Series 1 Page 12

These are two different things.
The cancellation of some shows in the way Aaron mentioned is a way of a new boss to show "who's in charge now". It is stupid and ignores the audience's will and is disrespectful towards the writers and actors who did nothing wrong.

The other thing is a general decline in quality of sitcoms. Maybe this is caused by the audiences fondness for cheap but flashy reality soaps such as the "talent" shows or things like "Snog, Marry, Avoid", "Big Brother" etc. It's a hard time for subtle comedy writers to compete with that sort of rubbish. And the TV bosses are confused...they don't know what to commission to please the audiences. New shows that are sexy, cool (progressive filming style or those targeted at teens and twens) and with a dose of reality (think of the bloopers in Mrs. Brown's Boys)? Or back to old school (The Royal Bodyguard)...without checking first if the scripts are any good?

I have hope in the forthcoming Ben Elton sitcom Slings And Arrows, although I didn't like Blessed and only want to see this because it has David Haig in it.

Nick Lyndhurst was a big coup for the BBC, so surprised nobody fought the decision. Presumably it was his salary which was obliquely referred to when they said it was too expensive to sacrifice to Corrie.

Quote: Dave @ November 2 2012, 4:33 PM GMT

Nick Lyndhurst was a big coup for the BBC, so surprised nobody fought the decision. Presumably it was his salary which was obliquely referred to when they said it was too expensive to sacrifice to Corrie.

That's nothing but a pathetic excuse. After You've Gone was cancelled half way through writing for the next series. If cost was an issue that fourth run would never have been ordered in the first place.

I wonder if Lyndhurst was annoyed or not. In an interview to promote her edition of Who Do You Think You Are, Celia Imrie said it was her "friend" Nick Lyndhurst who convinced her to do Who Do You... so it seems they're still in contact.

OK I've got no idea if it's series 1, 2 or 3. Anyway I've just watched an episode on London Live.

Anyway it seems a typical ITV comedy whether it was or wasn't. A fairly enjoyable episode although a bit predictable at times but it's always great to see Celia Imrie and Nicholas Lyndhurst.

Yes I have a soft spot for this. Broad studio audience comedy done well with a top notch cast, Ryan Sampson was particularly good.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd February 2021, 9:39 PM

Anyway it seems a typical ITV comedy whether it was or wasn't.

BBC One.

I believe London Live are currently airing Series 3.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th February 2021, 1:53 PM

BBC One.

I believe London Live are currently airing Series 3.

Well I guessed that as it was 45 minutes long it had to originally be advertless and I could have checked but it seemed like an ITV sitcom.