After You've Gone - Series 1 Page 8

I really enjoyed it. It's not a classic and it wasn't cutting edge or laugh out loud funny but it was entertaining.

I like Lyndhurst. I don't think he's a great actor, but he does certain characters very well. It'd perhaps be very easy to pick holes in the writing and the situation, as shown by a poster above, but I don't have an inclination to do so. I find if I'm not entertained by a show, I'll pick holes in it, but if I am, I'm too busy enjoying it to bother.

I liked Jimmy, he was a warm character, a reformed loser if you will. Diana had her moments, the kids were strong supporting characters and Kev and the Landlord made the pub scenes worthwhile.

I'll really miss After You've Gone and Thieves like us, because they've given me something to look forward to at both ends of the week.

John Challis should be crying into his corn flakes because he is in a dialbolically awful "comedy". I've read an article in which he says that he thinks Green Green Grass will go on for as long as Last of the Summer Wine (which he states has been on for twenty years). He's living in a dream world! I know After You've Gone is not great, but Green Green Grass goes overboard trying to be funny and failing dismally. For instance, in Series Two Episode One, (the episode written by John Sullivan's son), he screams at Jed and Bryan for having the lawnmower on - but keeps on screaming continually even after they've switched it off. And that was also the one when he had insomnia, so Elgin gives him a "potion" to make him sleep, but it makes all of his hair fall out instead. So then he has to wear a wig for a beard. It's all totally unbelieveable - and Only Fools and Horses used to always have both feet in reality. And he's also in denial about being in theatre. He says it takes a brilliant actor to pull of the role of a villian - He was talking about his part in Alladin! I mean, it's laughable! And actually, After You've Gone has had much higher ratings that Green Green Grass. The latter's ratings were around the 2 or 3 million mark, while After You've Gone has over 4 million! Not only that, but the Chrispmas episode of Green Green Grass was relegated to a 3:55pm slot on Christmas Day instead of going out on prime time. Challis is a tallentless bore who got lucky once. His role in a Citizen Smith episode is identicle to his performance in Only Fools and Horses. He simply can't act! Roger Lloyd Pack, on the other hand, is a wonderful actor who has had a varied career, not only in Fools and Horses, but the top rating sitcom The Vicar of Dibley. He was also in Doctor Who AND Harry Potter in the same year! And Nicholas Lyndhurst is also much better than anything Challis could ever be. Lyndhurst can act! He can do comedy, change accents and make every role different from the other.

I'd agree with Challis not being a great actor. He's quite deliberate and only suits roles that appear to be written for him.

Disagree with any criticism of Green, Green Grass. I thinks it's a good, farcical comedy that has a good array of stupid characters and several weak but consistent plot lines that make each episode worth watching. It'll be interesting to see what they make of it now the Driscoll's, his reason for living out in the sticks, are off his back. I think it's as good as some of the weaker episodes of Only Fools, it always has funny one liners and some ridiculous scenario.

The Xmas special was by far the best so far and was a fantastic piece of work. If the next series is as good as that, I think it'll really take off. I don't particularly care about the ratings, providing they are good enough to get another series.

And bravo for the Lloyd Pack love. He's a great comedy actor. Green, Green Grass needs a bit of Trigger to educate the country folk.

RE: Dave's comments.

I agree that there were many very fine actors in Fools and Horses and John Challis was not the best of them but so what? Do you honestly think that he is worried about the fact that Roger Lloyd Pack and Nick Lyndhurst are both very talented?

Like almost any actor, Challis will be very happy to be in a successful show which is, I believe, coming back for a 3rd series. For any actor to have been appearing in successful sitcoms for 25+ years is an achievement and I'm sure he has plenty of £££ in the bank. I'd trade places with him any day of the week as I'm sure most people would.

Quote: Rick Skelton @ February 26, 2007, 3:34 PM

The Xmas special was by far the best so far and was a fantastic piece of work. If the next series is as good as that, I think it'll really take off. I don't particularly care about the ratings, providing they are good enough to get another series.

Thank God someone else said so. I thought myself and Mark were the only ones not too prejudiced against the show to see how brilliant that episode was.

Any ideas if there will be another series?

Quote: Mike88 @ February 26, 2007, 9:05 PM

It normally takes the BBC a couple of months minimum to make their mind up about whether to re-commission a series so I don't think we'll know just yet.

I should think it will.

Quote: Mark @ February 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

It normally takes the BBC a couple of months minimum to make their mind up about whether to re-commission a series so I don't think we'll know just yet.

Sometimes they say over the end of the credits.

"After You've Gone" will return in the new year or something similiar.

I think that's generally for a recurring show or a smash hit success. I think they'll do another series. They seem to realise that things take a little time to catch on and for the writers to find their feet. I think they'll get the chance. It probably doesn't cost a great deal to make the show and it drew a decent rating against Corrie. They don't have anything better in the slot.

Ditto Rick. It's not a smash hit yet, but considering some of the relative bollocks that HAS been recommissioned over the past few years, I would be unspeakably surprised if they don't want another series.

I have a real problem with Fred Barron creations; it’s the sitcom equivalent of Westlife doing a Bee Gee’s covers.

Quote: Mike88 @ February 26, 2007, 9:05 PM

If the BBC have a brain cell... they won't

Is there any chance of getting Fred Barron on the BSG to answer crimes against comedy?

Yeah! And get Ian Brown and James Hendrie on here too!