After You've Gone - Series 1 Page 4

This post has been removed on the request of the author

Charlie, I have read your comments and you are one of the most talented, funny writers that has come out of the UK in years,and some of the things you have done have had me giggling for hours (in a good way) however I am just a normal person who found this sitcom funny - at the end of the day its about personal preference.

Nicholas Lyndhurst and Celia Imrie can certainly act as their careers have proved. You can't polish a turd however and maybe the direction doesn't do them any favours either.

This post has been removed on the request of the author

Quote: Nick @ January 21, 2007, 10:34 AM

Nicholas Lyndhurst and Celia Imrie can certainly act as their careers have proved.

I not sure I would agree that Nicholas Lyndhurst is a good actor, I’ve enjoyed many of the shows he’s been in but he’s never been stretched. He’s been very lucky, landing several plum jobs from a very early age and was born to play Rodney Trotter.

Celia Imrie on the other hand is superb, does anyone else remember a show she was in called, I think the “Riff-raff element” I love it at the time and would rave about it but no one else seemed to agree with me.

I would agree that Lyndhurst doesn't have a massive range but almost every show that he has appeared in has been a huge success. He has also stretched himself in recent years with Murder in Mind, David Copperfield and his stage work.

I’m of the opinion that the show Lyndhurst has been in have made him a success not the other way round, having seen interview with him, most of the part he’s play have been slight variations on himself. I wasn’t convinced by his performance in David Copperfield. He’s a bit of a odd looking chap so it’s hard to get away from the idea that your watching Nicholas Lyndhurst playing a part. Compared to say Ronnie Barker who parts were all very distinctive and nothing like the man himself.

I suppose the point I trying to make to you Nick is that having Lyndhurst in a show is not always a positive thing and as other have said he appears a little miscast in this role. There because of who he is, rather the casting the best man for the job.

I actually agree that he is miscast in this role and obviously he doesn't have the range of Ronnie Barker. I do agree that having him in a cast is not always necessarily going to be a positive thing as well.

He could still make a success of After You've Gone though but the writers would need to tailor the part to suit him. He clearly does have very good comic timing and I still think that he and Celia Imrie could make a good double act. Last Friday's episode was very poor though.

They lost me after one episode. I'd have given it a go last Friday too, but my wife wanted Midsommer Murders and I wasn't keen enough on the first episode of After You've Gone to put up a fight.

Regarding several recent posts on this thread, I've never been able to watch anything with Lyndhurst in since Butterflies. He always seems to play the same character. Still, nice work if you can get it.

Nicholas Lyndhurst, nice chap that he is, cannot stop being who he is and portraying it to devastating effect on screen. It's a bit like David Jason. Frost = Del Boy in a hat. Pa Larkin = Del Boy with a silly accent and so on. As Steve by any other name says, nice work if you can get it.

Quote: steve by any other name @ January 22, 2007, 2:53 PM

They lost me after one episode. I'd have given it a go last Friday too, but my wife wanted Midsommer Murders and I wasn't keen enough on the first episode of After You've Gone to put up a fight.

Regarding several recent posts on this thread, I've never been able to watch anything with Lyndhurst in since Butterflies. He always seems to play the same character. Still, nice work if you can get it.

Butterflies. By Christ, that was bad. I can't recall such a depressing 'comedy'.

I think Nick Lyndhurst is a far superior actor to David Jason. Jason just gets more plaudits for being older, I think. Baumski is right and Jason is always the same character. If you look at the more serious moments of Only Fools, particuarly in Sleepless in Peckham, then you'll see that he's just Frost without the moustache. His role as Ted Simcock in the dire A Bit of a Do was the same too.

Nick Lyndhurst however is different in whatever he does. In Only Fools, he has a South London accent and in The Piglet Files is posh, and in Goodnight Sweetheart and After You've Gone he doesn't have an accent at all. But with Jason, he's always the same. Like Del Boy - always will - but Jason? Bad, bad actor! ... in my humble opinion!

I wouldn't say it was brilliant but at the same time its not awful. There are some moments that did make me laugh out loud but there could have been a few more. The scripts could do with a bit of tightening and some of the gags are bit too obvious. Also it could do with a bit of heart to it. They could work on his relationship with the kids, i'm not saying it should be lovey dovey becasue lets face it that just wouldn't be funny but it would be nice to see that underneath his easy going exterior he really does love his kids even if he doesn't always like them. Then again maybe that would be too Fools and Horses. Then again the best comedies always have a bit of heart to them whereas more and more of these conventional sitcoms are coming out with no heart to them whatever and surprise surprise they're failing.

Quote: Aaron @ January 22, 2007, 3:36 PM

Butterflies. By Christ, that was bad. I can't recall such a depressing 'comedy'.

Butterflies was hilarious. Wendy Craig and Geoffey Palmer were terrific and Nicholas Lyndhurst and the guy who played Russell were a great double act.

I doubt whether anyone could claim that David Jason's performances were the same in Fools and Horses, Porridge, Open All Hours, Dangermouse etc.

I agree that Butterflies was a fine show as well and it was obviously more aimed at women than men.

Wow, if episode 2 was not as good as episode 1 I'm glad I missed it!
This really is sitcom-by-numbers, with cardboard characters reacting to each other in almost predetermined ways. As Charlie Adams says: no heart, and above all no originality. (compare this to spaced which also has one of the most hackneyed premises imaginable, but which managed to make something very original and, despite the wackiness, emotionally real out of it)