Harry And Paul - Series 2 Page 4

Quote: Seefacts @ September 12 2008, 9:37 PM BST

Well, they did a Hoodies sketch. As soon as it came on I thought 'Hoodies - Goodies', I recognise that idea.

It was all visual.

That's what I thought straight away as well!

I thought tonight was another good episode.

A couple of weak/over-long sketches but, yes, overall another enjoyable episode. My favourites were The Can-Do Builders, The Skint Uncle and obviously I Saw You Coming Guy. (List of all the sketches here)

Without a doubt my absolute highlight was the weird black and white Guest House sketch again. The way it's filmed and acted - mesmerising. It brings up so many questions though (why the disappearing, why the yellow duck, etc etc). Has anyone worked out what - if anything - these sketches are a reference to? I'd love to know.

Skint Uncle was very good, yes. I liked the American Tourists, Choclatier and The Clarkson Island one (although it was a little long and reminded me of the Big Train 'New Romantics' sketch).

I don't get what the 'Landlady and The Writer' sketch is about either, but it's very good.

What happened to the Capello sketch though? I saw it advertised in the paper, but didn't see it tonight. Unless it was when I went to the toilet.

Your episode listing is great, Mark.

I didn't see a Capello sketch.

The sketch with the guy commenting on the The Vicar of Dibley...was that a minor poke at places like this? I'm wondering, mainly because of the line where he says he's over analyzing it.

Quote: Mark @ September 12 2008, 10:25 PM BST

A couple of weak/over-long sketches but, yes, overall another enjoyable episode. My favourites were The Can-Do Builders, The Skint Uncle and obviously I Saw You Coming Guy. (List of all the sketches here)

Without a doubt my absolute highlight was the weird black and white Guest House sketch again. The way it's filmed and acted - mesmerising. It brings up so many questions though (why the disappearing, why the yellow duck, etc etc). Has anyone worked out what - if anything - these sketches are a reference to? I'd love to know.

They remind me of those old Richard Attenborough films like Seance on a Wet Afternoon with very British clipped accents and moody with sinister overones.

I quite like 'Harry and Paul'. I'd rather have an hour of this, than half and hour of it and then half an hour of 'Armstrong and Miller'. They really suck. Why don't they go away?

Quote: Winterlight @ September 12 2008, 10:33 PM BST

What happened to the Capello sketch though? I saw it advertised in the paper, but didn't see it tonight. Unless it was when I went to the toilet.

It was supposed to be in last night's episode but seems to have been edited out at the last moment - perhaps because of England's surprise win, which would have put the sketch in the wrong light? (I'm assuming it is a negative portrail of him)

Quote: Mark @ September 13 2008, 11:27 AM BST

It was supposed to be in last night's episode but seems to have been edited out at the last moment - perhaps because of England's surprise win, which would have put the sketch in the wrong light? (I'm assuming it is a negative portrail of him)

I thought the same thing. I'm sure we'll lose soon enough, so it'll pop up somewhere.

Quote: Eat_My_Shirts @ September 13 2008, 11:14 AM BST

I quite like 'Harry and Paul'. I'd rather have an hour of this, than half and hour of it and then half an hour of 'Armstrong and Miller'. They really suck. Why don't they go away?

No way! I think Armstrong & Miller's great. Not as good as Fast Show or Harry Enfield & Chums, but better than Harry & Paul in my opinion.

A few of last night's sketches went on for far too long, the radio DJ sketch especially. Modern Wank sketch was very good. Whenever I find myself in a place that has modern, pretentious art I always get the line "this is an authentic piece of shit" in my head, from the last series' I Saw You Coming sketches.

Clarkson island was hilarious. It was long but I laughed the entire way through the sketch. The James May was brilliant.

I wonder what sootyj's reaction to the Hoodies sketch will be?! I thought that was great too.

Quote: Gelgoog @ September 12 2008, 11:44 PM BST

The sketch with the guy commenting on the The Vicar of Dibley...was that a minor poke at places like this? I'm wondering, mainly because of the line where he says he's over analyzing it.

I think it's more a poke at the Vicar of Dibley (or Mr Bean, in the last series). I think the family's Greek, and so with English as a second language, this kind of 'simple' comedy appeals to them - the same way Benny Hill appeals to so many foreigners. At least that's what I think.

Oh yes, and I think I might change my BSG name to BumGums or TuppenyButterQuims - I nearly pissed myself during that sketch. I wrote on here last week saying how I didn't get the sketch, but now I do.

Quote: NickTheDon @ September 13 2008, 7:58 PM BST

Clarkson island was hilarious. It was long but I laughed the entire way through the sketch. The James May was brilliant.

Oh my goodness... I thought that was brilliant. I laughed all the way through it, and then went back online to watch it again it was so funny. Here are the battery Clarksons, The Clarkson 5... hilarious.

The 40-45 sketch was a bit over long... but I enjoyed the Vicar of Dibley sketch too.

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 13 2008, 9:22 PM BST

Oh yes, and I think I might change my BSG name to BumGums or TuppenyButterQuims - I nearly pissed myself during that sketch. I wrote on here last week saying how I didn't get the sketch, but now I do.

Ah maybe I need to watch it again...

Quote: Mark @ September 12 2008, 10:25 PM BST

It brings up so many questions though (why the disappearing, why the yellow duck, etc etc). Has anyone worked out what - if anything - these sketches are a reference to? I'd love to know.

The yellow bird being the only thing in colour reminds me of 'Schindler's list' where there is the girl in the red coat. I think it just adds to the eerie feeling of the sketch. Am I right in thinking that the bird is dead? If so perhaps they are suggesting that the most lively thing in the hotel is dead. I quite like how the bar is the reception it just seems a bit odd

The sketch with the guy commenting on the The Vicar of Dibley...was that a minor poke at places like this?

I don't think so. I can't work out if they are just making fun of 'The Vicar of Dibley' or people who talk through shows while you are trying to watch them. There may not even be a real point to it other than trying to generate comedy through a character who is watching a comedy program

Don't think this was any kind of poke at anybody. More like a critique of obvious, over-emphasised humour. Probably.

Think this show (Harry and Paul, not Vicar of f**king Dibley) has some great stuff in it. Hoodies and the builders being particular highlights. They really are top drawer, consumate performers.

I absolutely love the Dragons' Den sketches. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Wave