Harry And Paul - Series 2 Page 9

That was a very funny final episode.

I wonder why the 2nd series was so much better than the 1st series?

Were there different writers this time? Or was it all Harry and Paul for both series?

Could Geoffrey Perkins (God rest his soul) have made some sweeping changes?

Quote: catskillz @ October 14 2008, 3:27 AM BST

Someone once told me that various permed members of Liverpool's 1970s teams had inspired him, but I always doubted that, as many of them weren't even Scousers, e.g. Souness (Scottish) and Keegan (Yorkshire?).

Yes, sound logic there. Living/working in the area would have been more than enough, I'd have thought.

Quote: Winterlight @ October 14 2008, 12:55 PM BST

Were there different writers this time? Or was it all Harry and Paul for both series?

This whole matter has made me aware of just how talented Mr Perkins was. Looking at his work, I was suprised to see how much he'd done. This includes a number of comedies I grew up with.

If he was responsible for the improvement, which seems more than likely, than he did a very good job. It's very easy for Enfield's comedy to be bad. Just look at the series he did for Sky One a few years back. I think Enfield's success lies in him getting lucky a few times. He usually really needs other writers to work with or his stuff is all pretty samey and bland.

Possibly; maybe he made them work on the scripts more, to develop and get them right before there's a camera on. Or they might have realised they'd let themselves down with that first run.

Mainly the same writers, but a different director and a different producer. As mentioned above, the producer was one Geoffrey Perkins. Personally I think a lot of the turn-around is directly down to his skills. Apparently he was very good at making sure 'talent' delivered the very best material, only their very best, to the screen by not only being a producer but also an informal script editor.

Remember he was executive producer on Series 1 though.

In my humble opinion in most cases Executive Producer means sod all, apart from that you're the one who signs the cheques, brings the investment to the table, wines and dines the schedulers etc. No hands on input at all. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7052368.stm

Quote: Mark @ October 14 2008, 3:28 PM BST

In my humble opinion in most cases Executive Producer means sod all, apart from that you're the one who signs the cheques, brings the investment to the table, wines and dines the schedulers etc. No hands on input at all. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7052368.stm

Correct.

It's like Sarah Jessica Parker's credit on 'Sex and the City'. Meaningless.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 15 2008, 4:01 PM BST

It's like Sarah Jessica Parker's credit on 'Sex and the City'. Meaningless.