Harry And Paul - Series 2 Page 2

Pretty much in the style that I've come to expect from these two, although whether that in itself made it 'old hat' I'm still not sure. I thought that there were some great sketches (Dragon's Den by far the best), but I did wonder what the average length of a sketch was? Some seemed to go on quite long and I'm not sure that they would have got away with this had they posted their work in critique first;)

What are other peoples views on the average sketch length in this episode?

Quote: Sofa_Matt @ September 8 2008, 2:15 PM BST

Actually made a nice change to see some sketches lasting longer than half a minute, even if they did milk them a bit. The performances make it.

I thought some of the sketches were too long, although generally I would like to see a return to the slightly longer sketch. The fact that they appeared too long, on even a first listening, made me wonder whether this is just the usual case of established writers/performers being able to do what ever they like or are we seeing a considered 'move' back to the longer sketch?

How is a writer supposed to know when prod co's are looking for longer sketches or just pandering to an established writer's whim?

More likely to be the producers whim, I would've thought. Or maybe it depends on the style you're going for. eg. Kevin Bishop is mostly tv piss-take and the sketches wouldn't merit any longer than half minute or whatever.

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 8 2008, 11:52 AM BST

The one thing I didn't really like were the opening titles.

Oh no, I loved those!

Quote: Sofa_Matt @ September 8 2008, 2:15 PM BST

Pretty much in the style that I've come to expect from these two, although whether that in itself made it 'old hat' I'm still not sure. I thought that there were some great sketches (Dragon's Den by far the best), but I did wonder what the average length of a sketch was? Some seemed to go on quite long and I'm not sure that they would have got away with this had they posted their work in critique first;)

I was thinking the same as you - a lot of the sketches seemed quite long, by which I mean "longer than they needed to be". Nothing wrong with a long sketch per se.

Unlike many in this thread, I didn't detect a noticeable improvement in quality from the last series. I thought it was of similar standard. But as I liked the last series, this isn't a problem for me!

By far my favourite was the writer and landlady (coincidentally, a quite lengthy sketch that worked well at that length). Two huge laughs in that one and great performances.

Ok now this is funny.

Quote: Badge @ September 8 2008, 5:07 PM BST

By far my favourite was the writer and landlady (coincidentally, a quite lengthy sketch that worked well at that length). Two huge laughs in that one and great performances.

I laughed at that one like an idiot too.

Great fun this. For me, it's usually enough to see these two great comedy performers working. The quality of the writing was better than the previous series and, I suspect, that was something to do with the late Geoffrey Perkins eye for what works. (It took me somewhat by surprise, yet I was pleased to see him given a proper tribute at the end of the show, not just a quick photo after credits - which is what happened to Harry Thompson with HIGNFY.)

The Writer And The Landlady was a weird and wonderful sketch. Have had a bit of my fill with the builders though, to be honest. Really liked the fisherman tentatively & ashamedly trying to impart his cultural knowledge. The surgeons are always fun (and those type of surgeons does very nearly exist).

Overall, am looking forward to the rest of this series. I expect a few unexpected treats and (as ever) great performances from two of our national comedy treasures.

Well I liked it. what I saw of it before the satellite signal crashed for some reason.

I loved the opening sketch with the football manager bollocking his team in several different langauges. Absolute genius and I can't really imagine anyone apart from Paul Whitehouse pulling it off so spectacularly. I also loved the fisherman trying to talk to his mate about the play he'd been to see.

I loved the 'Beware of Northerners' one

From what I heard this was meant to be a big improvement on the first series, but it was actually pretty much the same... just a bit tighter.
It made a difference, though, a big one actually. I watched it and I laughed and everything and afterwards I felt kind of warm and fuzzy instead of just bored.

And Laura Solon's still in it! When the last series was at it's most dire she was my only reason for watching!

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 9 2008, 8:22 AM BST

The surgeons are always fun (and that type of surgeon do very nearly exist).

Brilliant! :D

Quote: Afinkawan @ September 9 2008, 9:47 AM BST

Well I liked it. what I saw of it before the satellite signal crashed for some reason.

Bad weather. Happened to me about half way through.

Edited.

Laughing out loud I also loved the geriatric Smashy & Nicey sketch.

Quote: Afinkawan @ September 9 2008, 9:47 AM BST

I loved the opening sketch with the football manager bollocking his team in several different langauges. Absolute genius and I can't really imagine anyone apart from Paul Whitehouse pulling it off so spectacularly. I also loved the fisherman trying to talk to his mate about the play he'd been to see.

Yep those were funny as well. I think the last sketch with the fishermen was a variation of the gay master and servant one Paul did in the 90s. Very funny.

It must be just me but I don't get the repeat gags which count for sketch shows these days: Catherine Tate, Little Britain, Fast Show, Armstrong & Miller etc etc. I love Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse but having watched the first one I know I won't be too bothered about the rest.

It's almost as if because the make-up has taken so long to sort out that they've got to milk the same characters for ten sketches.

It may be well-acted and beautifully timed but the joke wears thin pretty quickly.