Harry And Paul - Series 2 Page 3

Quote: the heretic @ September 9 2008, 3:11 PM BST

It's almost as if because the make-up has taken so long to sort out that they've got to milk the same characters for ten sketches.

That is pretty much it, yes. People whine about shows which have "low production values", but then whine when shows have high "production values"; there isn't a bottomless pit of cash to make a series with. Viewers must decide if they want variety, or a perfect, crisp production with huge attention to detail. There is a small area of dual coverage, but small it is.

Yeah. That's about it.

General comment by the way, not directed at you specifically.

Well, what can I say. 'Ruddy Hell' was the worst Sketch show of all time, shockingly bad. Hence I was dreading this series. But this wasn't awful, this was hit and miss and probably more hit. I will be tuning in next week. Loved the Beware of the Northener Sketch' but don't in the slightest bit find the Polish Coffee Shop sketch funny. Though this new series looks awful to the old classic 'Harry Enfield & Chums' They should just use them old characters again I think. I love the 'Self Righteous Brothers' 'OI!! NO!!'

Quote: the heretic @ September 9 2008, 3:11 PM BST

It must be just me but I don't get the repeat gags which count for sketch shows these days: Catherine Tate, Little Britain, Fast Show, Armstrong & Miller etc etc. I love Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse but having watched the first one I know I won't be too bothered about the rest.

It's almost as if because the make-up has taken so long to sort out that they've got to milk the same characters for ten sketches.

It may be well-acted and beautifully timed but the joke wears thin pretty quickly.

You love Enfield and Whitehouse? But both of their old shows had characters that came back week after week. I'm confused.

I thought it was good and in a way it was nice to see two old masters of the Sketch genre come back and still be funny.

Paul Whitehouse is a comedy god.

Quote: Aaron @ September 9 2008, 4:05 PM BST

That is pretty much it, yes. People whine about shows which have "low production values", but then whine when shows have high "production values"; there isn't a bottomless pit of cash to make a series with. Viewers must decide if they want variety, or a perfect, crisp production with huge attention to detail. There is a small area of dual coverage, but small it is.

Personally, I think if somebody is complaining that a show looks either cheap or expensive then they're just looking for stuff to bitch and moan about.

Besides which, comedy is one of the few genres where you can get away with ropey production values (unlike drama). I don't mind that the walls wobble in Fawlty Towers yet it grates that I, Claudius looks like it was filmed on the set of Blue Peter.

Quote: chipolata @ September 10 2008, 11:10 AM BST

Personally, I think if somebody is complaining that a show looks either cheap or expensive then they're just looking for stuff to bitch and moan about.

I don't mind that the walls wobble in Fawlty Towers.

Prezunctly on both points. I can't recall any wobbling sets or microphone shadows in George & Mildred, for example, and yet it's not Fawlty Towers which gets the bad "production values" press.

Pah. If you're looking that closely at a show to really notice and be bothered by those things, then you may as well not watch at all.

Another thing I like about this show is that Harry and Paul have surrounded themselves with hot young actresses. There's Laura Solon, and a couple of cuties from Peep Show. :$

And Alice Lowe :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 9 2008, 6:56 PM BST

You love Enfield and Whitehouse? But both of their old shows had characters that came back week after week. I'm confused.

Yeah sounds like a contradiction - I suppose I'm saying that I find them inherently funny but the sketches are a bit repetitive with no real new jokes. The first time I see the sketch it is funny then there is a kind of law of diminishing returns. I did a quick (non-scientific) survey of my work colleagues and family and most of them said they gave up on sketch shows because of same old jokes each week. I look forward to them but I'm usually quickly bored. This contrasts with old sketch shows like Not the Nine O'clock News which were inventive and funny.

Agreed that production values are not important - funny is funny.

Quote: hotzappa11 @ September 10 2008, 3:52 PM BST

And Alice Lowe :D

Is Alice Lowe Alex Lowe's sister?

No, Arthurs.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/7531

I'd get your lawyers ready.

:O

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 12 2008, 9:36 PM BST

:O

Well, they did a Hoodies sketch. As soon as it came on I thought 'Hoodies - Goodies', I recognise that idea.

It was all visual.

Yeah, I saw it. Thought it was pretty funny. Hence the :O

:)