BBC WritersRoom Page 9

Why can't the BBC and other production companies set up "sitcom reading sleeper cells"? Four people, sworn to secrecy and anonymous to each other, who only get to read a quarter of your script each. That way, they'd collectively know enough to pitch it to the commissioners, but not enough that if one of them was kidnapped and tortured by plagiarists, they'd be able to give away the full show?

This kind of system would ensure us writers some small piece of mind.

Quote: bushbaby @ November 19 2009, 12:04 AM GMT

not if you post them to yourself Royal Mail Special Delivery before sending them out

I often post myself by Royal Mail Special Delivery to my home address so as to avoid identity theft. Pleased

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 19 2009, 12:17 AM GMT

I often post myself by Royal Mail Special Delivery to my home address so as to avoid identity theft. Pleased

I used to do that when I did song-writing. I've got loads of cassettes in sealed envelopes. The only problem is I forgot to write on the back which was which.

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 12:21 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

I'm quite pleased with that one actually. Might polish it and send it to Viz. (Back off, plagiarists! Angry)

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 12:21 AM GMT

*has visions of unlucky Life Of Riley reader being tortured, unable to give his captors anything to make them stop*

Laughing out loud

Is it worth sending something and asking for feedback?

Otherwise they poo in an envelope and send you some of their shit for a change?

Do they read ANYTHING? or is it just certain things? for instance would they read a sitcom script regardless or would they bin it as soon as they realised it was the sort of thing they havent made since 1999, well, apart from Miranda

yea, it's a load of crap, innit?

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 11:34 AM GMT

Well they'll probably just return your own shit to you, if you sent an SAE.

Quote: bushbaby @ November 19 2009, 11:37 AM GMT

Quote: KJSmyling @ April 20 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

calm down dear it's only a forum.

Quote: bushbaby @ November 19 2009, 11:37 AM GMT

View original

Quote: KJSmyling @ April 20 2009, 8:08 PM GMT

I was joking, you know? Joking?

Quote: bushbaby @ November 19 2009, 12:44 PM GMT

Quote: david carmon @ November 19 2009, 11:37 AM GMT

Do they read ANYTHING? or is it just certain things? for instance would they read a sitcom script regardless or would they bin it as soon as they realised it was the sort of thing they havent made since 1999, well, apart from Miranda

At the writersroom road show they said they will read everything they recieve as long as it is type written and is a script ie they will not read short stories, novels, poems etc, and they prefer it to belonger than 10 pages.

they don't care whether it is for TV, radio, stage, film, animation, what they are looking for is potential as a writer someone who understands story, character, plot etc.

The most important thing if you are sending to the Writersroom is that you hit the ground running, if you haven't grabbed the reader by the short and curlies in the first 10 pages you can forget it.

Morrace, I've warned you about this before. Stop editing and misrepresenting people's quotes. It's not funny, it's not clever, it just makes you look a cock.

Sorry, Aaron. I didn't realise it made me look a cock! :D

Quote: KJSmyling @ November 19 2009, 8:44 PM GMT

At the writersroom road show they said they will read everything they recieve as long as it is type written and is a script ie they will not read short stories, novels, poems etc, and they prefer it to belonger than 10 pages.

they don't care whether it is for TV, radio, stage, film, animation, what they are looking for is potential as a writer someone who understands story, character, plot etc.

The most important thing if you are sending to the Writersroom is that you hit the ground running, if you haven't grabbed the reader by the short and curlies in the first 10 pages you can forget it.

Okay cool that summed it up nicely :)

Quote: Morrace @ November 19 2009, 11:24 PM GMT

Sorry, Aaron. I didn't realise it made me look a cock! :D

More a hideous white alien with a green aura

Does it mean Unsolicited adaptations as in.....erm......

If I were to take The Famous Five and adapt it?

Can I still send an unsolicited original sitcom idea in?