BBC WritersRoom Page 8

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ May 26 2009, 4:23 PM BST

Well, I wouldn't like to do it, so I don't envy them.

Mind you, I read on someone's blog (might have been Danny Stack) that they way they do it is this:
Every couple of weeks or so, they go through all the ones sent during that time, clearing them as fast as possible.

Now, surely, doing it that way, with so much pressure, they're probably going to miss quite a few gems. I'd probably get so peed off, I'd end up reading only a couple of pages and not just 10, which I'm sure is done sometimes if they have a LOT to go through.

Wouldn't it be better to have readers in every day, going through them? That way, they can read more at their leisure, rather than bionic speed and skimming.

That isn't the impression I got when I was there last year. At that time there were people in every day, constantly reading. All had received training about scriptreading and were enthusiastic about doing it. Perhaps I went on a good day!

At the Writersroom Roadshow the guy giving the talk said that they meet every couple of weeks and sit down with the latest pile of scripts, they each grab one and start to read, if it passes the first ten page test they decide who would be best suited to read that script in full.

Less than 20% make it past the first 10 pages.

I think the onus is on us the writers to try harder to grab their attention in the first 10 pages, not just hope they get to page 22 where the story actually starts :)

After the first ten pages test though and them actually say, liking it a bit. what happens then? also, what is the percentage for people being invited in for a chat about going ahead and making the sitcom?
Or does that just not happen?

Does anyone know if the BBC have ever been accussed of plagarism? Having thought through my options, I accept sending or presenting work to anyone is a risk, however, out of the possible companies to send my work to, the BCC are possibly the most reputable organisation.

The BBC is often accused of plagarism, but put it this way, if you've had an idea for a script about a cybertronic mouse who solves crimes with his pet ocelot, then so will have at least one other writer, you can't copyright ideas and themes... anyone can write a story about a young magician who has but if you call Harry and send him Hogwarts you're going to find yourself in trouble...

True'ish story... a writer wrote a sitcom set in a post office and sends it to the BBC, he hears nothing, several months later a pilot is shown for a sitcom set in a post office, he cries foul and contacts his lawyers forgetting that with at the speed the BBC move a sitcom pilot could be in the works for years before it hits the screens..

at the writersroom evening they told us that they once recieved 3 comedies, all set in an airport, in the same post.

Quote: IT David @ November 18 2009, 8:00 PM GMT

Does anyone know if the BBC have ever been accussed of plagarism?

Yes, I can think of a number of cases where the BBC has either settled court actions or suspended staff for plagiarism.

The BBC, like most other organisations, is made up of people - and people are often unscrupulous bent bastards.

Cool

Quote: Roodeye @ November 18 2009, 9:10 PM GMT

Yes, I can think of a number of cases where the BBC has either settled court actions or suspended staff for plagiarism.

The BBC, like most other organisations, is made up of people - and people are often unscrupulous bent bastards.

Cool

yes publishers too. I was at one point a literary agent...true [well hubby was, I helped]
I was told that one publisher that got a brilliant MS for a novel, photocopied it, rejected/returned it then put the MS to one of their own writers, obviously character names were changed etc etc etc

Quote: Roodeye @ November 18 2009, 9:10 PM GMT

Cool

Facts please?

Quote: Marc P @ November 18 2009, 10:24 PM GMT

Facts please?

An entirely reasonable request but the subject is potentially controversial and I'd like to be able to log in tomorrow.

besides it can be legally liable if facts aren't verified, best not to say owt

Quote: Marc P @ November 18 2009, 10:24 PM GMT

Facts please?

They nicked my granddad's idea for having a programme that forecasted the weather and called it "The Weather". He died a bitter man, who used to fly into a rage if anyone so much as mentioned any weather in his presence. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 18 2009, 11:34 PM GMT

They nicked my granddad's idea for having a programme that forecasted the weather and called it "The Weather". He died a bitter man, who used to fly into a rage if anyone so much as mentioned any weather in his presence. :(

:) good joke.

I know someone that had a whole series nicked about builders down south

:D

Quote: Griff @ November 19 2009, 12:01 AM GMT

You're right, everyone. Probably best not to send your scripts out. It's far too dangerous.

not if you post them to yourself Royal Mail Special Delivery before sending them out