BBC WritersRoom

Hi all, just joined and wondered if any one has submitted to the BBC writers room and what (if any) feedback they received.

JS

No-one has submitted anything as far as I am aware.

If you do send something in it's worth remembering that you need to submit a full-length photo of yourself with your entry.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 6 2008, 10:49 AM BST

you need to submit a full-length photo of yourself with your entry.

Clothed or unclothed?

Ok thanks for that, although there are no mentioned requirements for photos on the submission checklist.

Never mind, it's academic anyway as I sent in my script a few weeks ago but have heard nothing more than the standard acknowledgement card.

JS

It took 3 months for them to tell me nothing more than they didn't want our script.

Dan

I think Marc P said that you need to empathise with the people in the WritersRoom as they must get sent a shedload of material to wade through.

Does anyone know anyone who works in the writersroom as a reader? I'd love to see an interview with one of them on here.

Hello Jonni.

I think you'll find that most prospective writers on here have sent stuff there at one time or another.

Nothing to loose really but I'd send suff to other production companies at the same time too so you're not putting all your eggs in one basket.

i'm not sure why you wouldnt to be honest - you know it will get looked at by someone at some point....cant hurt can it?

I really appreciate all of the advice so far, to be honest this has been a real eye-opener for me, this forum is solid gold!!!

I have my current sitcom now out with several production outfits, cheers David, and I am working on my next project, a sort of reverse Mr. Benn.

A recruitment consultancy are placing historical figures (viking, pirate, roman etc.) in new jobs after referals from a highly secretive government outfit. So far have my Viking as a massage/physiotherapist my pirate as a Blockbuster manager (loads of cheesy gags here) and my Roman..haven't decided yet.

Comments welcome.

Quote: Jonni_Slug @ July 7 2008, 9:08 PM BST

I am working on my next project, a sort of reverse Mr. Benn.

A recruitment consultancy are placing historical figures (viking, pirate, roman etc.) in new jobs after referals from a highly secretive government outfit. So far have my Viking as a massage/physiotherapist my pirate as a Blockbuster manager (loads of cheesy gags here) and my Roman..haven't decided yet.

Comments welcome.

I like this idea Jonni. I always thought the basics of the 'Mr Benn' scenario could be used in one way or another. Best of luck with it.

def.

I submited a script about 1-2 months ago. it just came bk. I knew they wouldn't be interested in taking it further as it was my first script and i knew it wasn't very doable. however i thought that they would give feedback along with it. but there was none. i was disapointed.

I'm just wondering if that is what they do with everybody's first script? Maybe they just log the details and wait for a second script before it's worth bothering actually reading? To put off the people that aren't determined enough to write something new.

Just a (cynical) thought...

Dan

Quote: Tom Cartin @ July 12 2008, 12:02 AM BST

I submited a script about 1-2 months ago. it just came bk. I knew they wouldn't be interested in taking it further as it was my first script and i knew it wasn't very doable. however i thought that they would give feedback along with it. but there was none. i was disapointed.

I remember the exact cruel words of my first sitcom rejection when I was in my mid-twenties. The sitcom was set in a pub and the Writer's Room said "It's all here - busty tart barmaid, alcoholic landlord, and all the jokes 'Cheers' wouldn't touch with a bargepole."

But they were right, it was shit.

Quote: Perry Nium @ July 12 2008, 6:40 PM BST

I remember the exact cruel words of my first sitcom rejection when I was in my mid-twenties. The sitcom was set in a pub and the Writer's Room said "It's all here - busty tart barmaid, alcoholic landlord, and all the jokes 'Cheers' wouldn't touch with a bargepole."

It would probably get commissioned now... just market it as post-ironic...

kjs