BBC WritersRoom Page 5

Quote: Marc P @ April 20 2009, 3:54 PM BST

I tell you sometimes in here it's like watching Oscar Wilde play table tennis with Mark Twain.

Quote: KJSmyling @ April 20 2009, 4:07 PM BST

Shouldn't that be Wiff-Waff?
The term Ping-Pong didn't come into use until 1901, a year after Wilde's death and "Table Tennis" a year or so after that after J. Jaques & Son Ltd had trademarked Ping-Pong.... Whistling nnocently
kjs

Marc P was referring to Table tennis – not 'Ping Pong'.

Table tennis
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History

The game has its origins in England as an after-dinner amusement for upper-class Victorians in the 1880s. Mimicking the game of tennis in an indoor environment, everyday objects were originally enlisted to act as the equipment. A line of books would be the net, a rounded top of a champagne cork or knot of string as the ball, and a cigar box lid as the racket.Whistling nnocently

From the same Wiki page....

The name "Ping-Pong" then came to be used for the game played by the rather expensive Jaques equipment, with other manufacturers calling theirs table tennis. A similar situation came to exist in the United States where Jaques sold the rights to the "Ping-Pong" name to Parker Brothers.

wiff-waff, ping-pong, table tennis

anyway this is all a pointless bit of nonesense.... calm down dear it's only a forum.

Fab. An argument on table tennis. Unfortunately I have no knowledge or even opinions on it. :)

I have no knowledge about it either but that hasn't stopped me.

Yes, everyone should get a grip.

Shake hands?

Or penholder?

New balls.

Quote: Badge @ April 20 2009, 9:51 PM BST

Yes, everyone should get a grip.

Your wish, Badge ....

Quote: Morrace @ April 20 2009, 10:35 PM BST

Your wish, Badge ....

Well... that's kind of my little joke, except for table tennis. Next time I'll wave a big paddle.

Quote: Badge @ April 20 2009, 11:51 PM BST

Well... that's kind of my little joke, except for table tennis. Next time I'll wave a big paddle.

Um - er - yes. I illustrated it with instructions. You see, I went and actually got a grip; hence the 'Your wish Badge...' Surely, you must be used to people making your little joke bigger. :P

Quote: Morrace @ April 21 2009, 12:54 AM BST

Um - er - yes. I illustrated it with instructions. You see, I went and actually got a grip; hence the 'Your wish Badge...' Surely, you must be used to people making your little joke bigger. :P

I wish! People usually have trouble finding my little joke in the first place.
:)

Quote: Badge @ April 21 2009, 1:04 AM BST

I wish! People usually have trouble finding my little joke in the first place.
:)

Same here. When I find my little joke, the Mrs doesn't get it! ;)

Mind you, it is an old one.

Quote: Craig H @ April 20 2009, 3:30 PM BST

Well, that was childish.

But it didn't break any rule.

Quote: Craig H @ April 20 2009, 3:30 PM BST

You twat.

But this did. Craig H, swearing aimed at one member won't be tolerated. If you'd replied with humour then it would have been a different matter. Maybe that is your opinion of Don Rushmore but it is an opinion that will get you banned if you voice it publicly.

In all things I try to keep balance. If any member feels they've been unfairly treated they are free to PM me (or any other mod) to look into it.

Quote: SlagA @ April 21 2009, 9:50 AM BST

But it didn't break any rule.

But this did. Craig H, swearing aimed at one member won't be tolerated. If you'd replied with humour then it would have been a different matter. Maybe that is your opinion of Don Rushmore but it is an opinion that will get you banned if you voice it publicly.

In all things I try to keep balance. If any member feels they've been unfairly treated they are free to PM me (or any other mod) to look into it.

Sorry Slaga. It was meant in gest as Don will know. Sorry to spoil the harmony.

:(

No probs - Sometimes you just need to indicate to this thick mod that it's a jest, in some way. Perhaps a big comedy banana skin emoticon? :D

Quote: SlagA @ April 22 2009, 9:08 PM BST

No probs - Sometimes you just need to indicate to this thick mod that it's a jest, in some way. Perhaps a big comedy banana skin emoticon? :D

F**k off Slag you big wanky piece of pissing shit. :D