BBC WritersRoom Page 16

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd July 2021, 10:35 AM

...or at the very least agree to give it over to a known writer who takes the main credit for it.

Does this actually happen?
I'm sure we'd hear more about it if that were the case.

Good work -if it get's read - will get followed up on.
Getting read is the hard thing.
Trouble is, the vast majority of work isn't good, it's terrible - thus it's a fairly thankless task sifting through the shite for the odd pearl.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd July 2021, 11:03 AM

Does this actually happen?
I'm sure we'd hear more about it if that were the case.

I think it happens a lot, yes. Even with some known comedians they have to share writing credits with known writers. You'd think that shows like 'Josh' and 'Miranda' would be best written by Josh and Miranda alone, but no, they're not trusted to. That's Auntie Beeb for you.

Miranda had some additional writers - not uncommon - and all credited, as did Josh - again all credited.
They 'stars' don't 'have' to share credit - they share credit because other writers helped out - to the benefit of the show, I should imagine.
I'm really not sure what your point is.

Quote: Lazzard @ 3rd July 2021, 11:50 AM

Miranda had some additional writers - not uncommon - and all credited, as did Josh - again all credited.
They 'stars' don't 'have' to share credit - they share credit because other writers helped out - to the benefit of the show, I should imagine.
I'm really not sure what your point is.

Yes they do have to, or their shows won't get produced, at least by that broadcaster. And I doubt there's a working screenwriter on Earth who wouldn't insist on a published credit for their co-writing. It's the very point I'm making - new projects by virgin artists are rarely given the freedom to write their own creations without the hand of others.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 3rd July 2021, 1:24 PM

...new projects by virgin artists are rarely given the freedom to write their own creations without the hand of others.

Probably not.
But why is that a problem?

Was there ever even a golden age when new writers would send their work to the beeb and get it developed? Hasn't it always been about who you knew or if you were in the footlights etc. In som ways it's more difficult now, but in other ways there are a billion different ways to showcase and connect if you're willing to embrace change.

Well yes the duo the Beeb named the bursary after, most famously. There have been others but not for a long time. The competition is so fierce now the Beeb decided long ago it doesn't need to look beyond Edinburgh.

Galton & Simpson joined the BBC as gag writers.
They got their comedy series' away by being around the BBC, working with stars, getting known.