BBC WritersRoom Page 14

The series synopsis that they require when you send a script in, is that just a radio times like synopsis of each episode? Or do they want a fair bit of detail involving individual scenes? If they want a lot of detail that could prove a problem, as I only know what really works when I write the episode, the pilot I've just written had a different story on draft 1 than draft 4.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 10 2010, 5:54 PM GMT

As if life is scripted, my script did in fact arrive back yesterday.

The script reader did like it a lot, and gave me a page of very constructive feedback. :)
Not taking it any further, but they want to see more of my writing.

Well done Mikey, you have succeeded in getting blood out of a stone. Or commuting snot into gold or whatever.

Nothing in your comedy life to come will equal this achievement, I'm telling you - and I'm not taking the piss - you got feedback from the writersroom.

Well done.

I didn't actually send in a synopsis with the script. I just gave a bit of blurb (a few lines, rather like a Radio Times outline) about what it was about and where it was going on the covering letter.

Of course, after I'd sent it, I realised that a synopsis was supposed to be part of the checklist.

Still, I'm happy to get to the elusive feedback stage. :)

Having read a lot of replies re' the writers room I am wondering what scriptwriters here would think about a campaign to bring back the single play to television? This would also include something like bringing back the 'Comedy Playhouse' where new comedy plays and new sitcom ideas by established and new writers used to be televised weekly. In his book about the playwright Dennis Potter W,Stephen Gilbert writes that at one time there were 8 new single plays broadcast each week over (then) 3 channels. Of course, not all of these were good, but nearly all leading writers of the great comedy series started out with their work produced this way - and it was much easier for new writers to get their work produced. It meant that television really was a WRITERS medium. With 10,000 scripts for what the BBC currently broadcasts, writers should bear in mind that there is, in reality, very little opportunity for work to be broadcast - however much writers are 'mentored' to write for the limited range of producer-decided soaps and series. The old culture of television, whose comedy output was far greater was once WRITER LED - not executive-producer led.

I didn't bother with a synopsis either, like Mikey just wrote a vague bit of blurb about how I would see the series developing, it's the sript that matters.
Got mine back with about a page of useful comments too but now they have stopped accepting scripts from overseas, does ITV have a writers room?

They don't. Had there been one, Adam Crozier would've sold it off for storage space.

I'm thinking of sending a synopsis to the writer's room. Are they 100% trustworthy? Have they ever been accused of nicking an idea?

If you're starting to think like that then don't bother sending anything anywhere.

I doubt any idea is that earth-shattering that someone is going to pinch it.

Quote: catskillz @ June 17 2011, 3:46 AM BST

I'm thinking of sending a synopsis to the writer's room. Are they 100% trustworthy? Have they ever been accused of nicking an idea?

I'm not sure a synopsis would help. They want writers so need to know how you write - not what you write.

True, the seem to be more interesting in writers than writing.

Dan

Quote: catskillz @ June 17 2011, 3:46 AM BST

Stealing an idea? :|

My fear comes from reading this, the other day: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/navid_and_johnny/trivia/

Also, there was the story last year, about the idea for the show Mongrels getting nicked.

To be honest, ideas are a dime a dozen in comedy.
Good writing is rare.
That's what they're looking for.

Quote: Lazzard @ June 17 2011, 6:35 PM BST

To be honest, ideas are a dime a dozen in comedy.
Good writing is rare.

There you go. If you worry about people stealing your ideas, then you'll never show anyone your ideas. Plus, if anyone does steal your idea, which they almost certainly won't, you should also have other ideas, because you're a writer.