BBC WritersRoom Page 15

Quote: catskillz @ June 17 2011, 3:46 AM BST

I'm thinking of sending a synopsis to the writer's room. Are they 100% trustworthy? Have they ever been accused of nicking an idea?

I think the WritersRoom are quite clear that they want complete scripts and not a synopsis. Anyway, as others have said, if you're worried people are going to steal your idea then don't submit it anywhere. Also, is this your sitcom that you've been writing for about five years?

Quote: catskillz @ June 17 2011, 6:22 PM BST

My fear comes from reading this, the other day: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/navid_and_johnny/trivia/

Also, there was the story last year, about the idea for the show Mongrels getting nicked.

I think it was Pets who was complaining about having ideas stolen by Mongrels. What would upset subbers to Writers Room is if they reject your work, but the idea turns up later on...

Quote: Ben @ June 17 2011, 7:04 PM BST

Is this your sitcom that you've been writing for about five years?

A lot of it is still there, yes, but I've made a lot of chenges over the last 6 months, e.g., it's no longer set in a second-hand record shop. Actually, it's way better now. The last six months have been amazing. This is mainly because I finally started sitting down in front of my lap-top, for long periods, instead of just getting on with life, and simply jotting ideas down, every now and then.

No sign of Caroline Aherne or Galton & Simpson this year? Time is ticking on... I've been checking the opportunities page every day - they put Felix Dexter on there (eventually) when it came up. Hope it's not going to be another BBC Upload...

Yeah, that's radically reduced my chances this year. Bugger.

I think it was sort of recently they mentioned Comedy Room would be split into bursaries wasn't it? Dexter bursary was March/April time so hopefully they're just spreading them out a bit with Aherne and Galton and Simpson to come this year?

Aherne and Galton/Simpson were still mentioned so I imagine they're on their way. I do remember Galton and Simpson was really close to BBC's main comedy room last year (I didn't enter because I couldn't polish a different project on time- you couldn't submit the same while it was already being read for comedy room).

Apart from Susan Nickson with Two Pints , has any other comedy writer managed to get past the BBC gatekeepers with this scheme? I'm writing more radio drama scripts in the vain hope of getting something across . Problem is , they're so delightfully vague about what they want . It would be simpler if they specified what they don't want . Good luck with your material .

Quote: EllieS @ 29th June 2021, 9:28 AM

That's a good point - hopefully they'll pop up later in the year, then. It's a shame they've done away with Comedy Room, but I think what they've really done is merge it with Drama Room, as they now accept comedy-drama scripts in that window. I suppose trad sitcoms and sketch shows now fall under G&S - the problem there is that there's only one 'winner', whereas Comedy Room created opportunities for a handful of writers every year. So, essentially, they've cut the number of places in half (unless they've doubled it for Drama Room, which I doubt).

Yeah, true. Does lessen the chances a bit!

Quote: Jaicee @ 1st July 2021, 9:29 AM

Apart from Susan Nickson with Two Pints , has any other comedy writer managed to get past the BBC gatekeepers with this scheme? I'm writing more radio drama scripts in the vain hope of getting something across . Problem is , they're so delightfully vague about what they want . It would be simpler if they specified what they don't want . Good luck with your material .

Not sure how often via BBC directly. One person that springs to mind is Lolly Adefope (Ghosts, This Time with Alan Partridge), I remember seeing/reading somewhere she was in writers room programme one year.

As you mention writing Radio, that seems to be a lot more open to new writers. Not sure how much drama wise, but the likes of NewsJack and others provide a much more a accessible route for comedy writers for sure.

Things like Red Planet Prize have provided some writers - winners and shortlisters alike have ended up producing work, seems more successful a route than Writer's Room.

I tend to agree with Jaicee. If you're a writer, I think drama is a better route to follow.

Or try both depending on your mood . I started writing what I thought would be a one-off radio comedy script based on something that a friend of one of my brothers had said when he was pissed . A scene or two in , it dawned on me that I didn't need to find the funny in it and that it could be a drama . Will submit it for the Writers Room the next time .

Yeah I write comedy more but I have tried drama before though haven't sent to BBC (entered 10 pages of one to Red Planet prize, didn't get to the next stage to send the full length script, ha).

Quote: EllieS @ 2nd July 2021, 7:51 PM

some of the most valuable experience will be hob-nobbing with important and/or interesting people, and I'm sorry, but you can't do that online. The impromptu post-meeting coffees and pints are what our industry (society?) is built on - I feel like stuff like that is far more valuable than any training course you could ever go on. Caroline Aherne herself worked as a receptionist at Granada Studios, I believe, which is how she formed relationships with the likes of Steve Coogan and John Thompson. You can't bump into someone on Zoom, can you.

So you're confirming what we all know, you have to be already known for your writing to get noticed. :(

Quote: chipolata @ 2nd July 2021, 6:41 AM

I tend to agree with Jaicee. If you're a writer, I think drama is a better route to follow.

It hardly matters which genre you choose as most new sitcoms are far nearer to dramas these days.

The hard truth is the BBC have lost the f**king plot on sitcom, they've let it become a general auto biographical launch pad for greedy stand ups and wannabe Ricky Gervaises who can't get The Office out of their heads.

Quote: EllieS @ 3rd July 2021, 9:11 AM

No.

Yes you are. I know it's not your point but in saying that writers need to network and meet potential producers you are confirming we need to be known to them to get whatever we write looked at for its potential to be produced.

My question is why? If the potential is all in the submitted script, why isn't that enough? It doesn't mean you can't then meet up and have coffee, but if you've given them something that a professional can see translates into a good performable piece of entertainment, what else do you really need, to prove it'll work on air or screen?

Quote: EllieS @ 3rd July 2021, 9:11 AM

If your work is good, people will notice it.

And that's as far as it'll usually go, unless you have a name in comedy or at the very least agree to give it over to a known writer who takes the main credit for it.

Yes, bad timing for a quick edit. I see you are talking about WR in its development of successful writers in its initiatives. I'm talking more about WR in its role of recognising good scripts in the first place. I don't think they know what a good sitcom script is anymore, judging on their recent output. I'd say at least to studio audience style sitcom writers, avoid WR and send to producers or prod co.s (especially since WR readers have been exposed for unethical practices).