BBC WritersRoom Page 13

I thought they already did! :P
Ahhhh, take that bbc writer's room writers! I mean writer's room readers.

Ah, nuts! >_<

This saves me starting a thread.

Does anyone think sending an animated show to Writersroom is OK?

Quote: Jackinho44 @ December 27 2009, 1:45 AM GMT

This saves me starting a thread.

Does anyone think sending an animated show to Writersroom is OK?

What I've heard is that it's a hard sell, unless you're an animator who's got stuff up on YouTube, with an audience, etc.

WR have had one of my scripts for 4 months now.

Considering that, earlier in this post, (or was it another WR post?) it was revealed that the WR script readers go through the pile of scripts every couple of weeks and hold onto rejected scripts for a few more months, could it be reasonable to assume that, if you've not heard anything in within a few weeks, it must have ben rejected?

There could be two scenerios:

1) Script gets rejected, held for a few months = 4 months.

or

2) Script shows promise and is sent to another BBC department for a second opinion, which could = 4 months.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 6 2010, 11:09 PM GMT

WR have had one of my scripts for 4 months now.

Considering that, earlier in this post, (or was it another WR post?) it was revealed that the WR script readers go through the pile of scripts every couple of weeks and hold onto rejected scripts for a few more months, could it be reasonable to assume that, if you've not heard anything in within a few weeks, it must have ben rejected?

There could be two scenerios:

1) Script gets rejected, held for a few months = 4 months.

or

2) Script shows promise and is sent to another BBC department for a second opinion, which could = 4 months.

You're probably right.

Quote: Griff @ January 6 2010, 11:13 PM GMT

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/writing/terms_and_conditions.shtml

"Once your script has arrived we will send an acknowledgment card to you through the post, together with a reference number which should reach you within four weeks. If you haven't received anything within four weeks, please contact us by emailing writersroom@bbc.co.uk.

We aim to consider and return all scripts within four months from the date of acknowledgement. The length of time the assessment process takes depends on how far your script progresses - see the submissions flowchart for more information about this. The time taken to get back to you can also be slower if we have received a larger than usual number of scripts."

Ahhhh. I see.
I got my acknowledgement quite quickly.

So my two scenerios could ring true.

I've known them take the same time to reply about a script they liked and one they didn't.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 7 2010, 12:45 PM GMT

Ahhhh. I see.
I got my acknowledgement quite quickly.

So my two scenerios could ring true.

Don't worry mate, it's in the post.

As if life is scripted, my script did in fact arrive back yesterday.

The script reader did like it a lot, and gave me a page of very constructive feedback. :)
Not taking it any further, but they want to see more of my writing.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 10 2010, 5:54 PM GMT

...they want to see more of my writing.

Tell 'em to keep watching the telly, then. :D

Well done on the good feedback,at least.
Any lessons learnt?...do share.

They were intrigued by the premise and setting of my drama and were pleased with the fact that, early on, I've identified the need to show (not tell, lol) what each character is like.

So a good tip I'd give to budding writers is: Build on character. One must care about the characters to have any emotional pull.

There are twists and surprises in my script that they thought were bold moves, so the old adage of "surprise the reader in your script" does ring true.

The reasons they didn't take it any further:
I didn't perhaps give enough urgency to the drama. They were "stuck" somewhere - trapped - no way out. So they thought I should have made it more claustrophobic. Much more tense.
And the characters seemed to accept their dilemma too quickly. Also, the person who "decided" to be leader was not challenged.

So I'll take their advice and rewrite the bits they gave feedback on. :)

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 11 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

One must care about the characters to have any emotional pull.

Are you the Queen? :D

HA, HA. :) ONE was quoting from the feedback.

PS How did your other 'arf find the LuLu experience BTW?

She found the LuLu experience quite easy in regards to uploading the book, etc.
Creating the cover is tricky as they demand you to provide HUGE pics, so she settled in the end for a default patterned cover.

We ordered a copy and I must say it is VERY good quality. I was quite surprised.

I'd recommend Lulu for people who just want to get a book "out there" and not taking it so seriously.