Fawlty Towers Page 21

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 11th February 2023, 9:52 AM

I'm still sceptical. For one thing, if he's appealing to GB News audience, who were presumably tuning in in their tens, that doesn't bode well.

But the Carribean doesn't really fit. Fawlty Towers was meant to be the epitome of middling, a rubbish hotel in a crummy seaside town. Plonking it in the Carribean changes the entire feel.

Congrats on the 1000 posts

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/8892/211/

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 11th February 2023, 9:52 AM

I'm still sceptical. For one thing, if he's appealing to GB News audience, who were presumably tuning in in their tens, that doesn't bode well.

But the Carribean doesn't really fit. Fawlty Towers was meant to be the epitome of middling, a rubbish hotel in a crummy seaside town. Plonking it in the Carribean changes the entire feel.

Going by what he said, I think that's the point.

Wouldn't it be marvellous if Cleese rediscovers the anarchic originality he once had? Fingers crossed...

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 11th February 2023, 7:10 AM

Where's Mark David Chapman when you need him?

That's a bit random, isn't it?! You may as well ask Jeffrey Dahmer about On The Buses

This is great news - what are (most of you) moaning about?
I don't understand how any sequel/follow-up/comeback to any sitcom/film franchise should somehow automatically spoil/ruin your previous love for that very show.
You should treat this new Fawlty Towers as a separate entity, almost. It's just an old Basil Fawlty with no other origial characters in a new location.
Vast majority of you will watch it regardless of your pre-conceptions - and you know it! Then you'll slag it off, of course.
I for one hope it gives zero f**ks about wokery and just delivers some exceptional comedy - you never know, he might pull it off! (stop it).

Bring it on!

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 11th February 2023, 10:39 PM

This is great news - what are (most of you) moaning about?
I don't understand how any sequel/follow-up/comeback to any sitcom/film franchise should somehow automatically spoil/ruin your previous love for that very show.
You should treat this new Fawlty Towers as a separate entity, almost. It's just an old Basil Fawlty with no other origial characters in a new location.
Vast majority of you will watch it regardless of your pre-conceptions - and you know it! Then you'll slag it off, of course.
I for one hope it gives zero f**ks about wokery and just delivers some exceptional comedy - you never know, he might pull it off! (stop it).

Bring it on!

Well said that man.

I hope it is a success, but there's a limit to how excited you can get about an 83 year old man writing a sitcom with his daughter who nobody has ever heard of. And it'd help if Cleese had done something of note in the last twenty years, instead of just droning on about tedious culture war issues. Still, hope springs eternal and all that.

Well, as long has he beats the living shit out of something with a tree branch - I'll be happy

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th February 2023, 11:19 AM

Well, as long has he beats the living shit out of something with a tree branch - I'll be happy

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/21356057/john-cleese-fawlty-towers-revival/

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th February 2023, 11:19 AM

You could watch him do that in that advert he did a few years back.

Quote: chipolata @ 12th February 2023, 9:11 AM

I hope it is a success, but there's a limit to how excited you can get about an 83 year old man writing a sitcom with his daughter who nobody has ever heard of. And it'd help if Cleese had done something of note in the last twenty years, instead of just droning on about tedious culture war issues. Still, hope springs eternal and all that.

Age (of Cleese) and popularity (of daughter) should bare no prior anxieties about how good a show may or may not be.
I wholeheartedly agree that it is very likely to flop, but we should be grateful that the master is giving this sitcome writing another bash.

It will at least trigger the happy memories and will definitely be interesting to see old man Basil.

Latest update - Cleese apparently didn't even tell Connie Booth about the reboot. I'd have thought, as co-creator and co-writer, they'd have to at least get the go ahead from her. In fact the article says that she's yet to sign the contract.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/john-cleese-didnt-warn-me-about-fawlty-towers-reboot-says-connie-booth-l2ldds028

Whoops!

Unfortunately I can't read the article without subscribing. I've often wondered how much each writer contributed.

That's nice of him.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 14th February 2023, 3:07 PM

Unfortunately I can't read the article without subscribing. I've often wondered how much each writer contributed.

https://archive.is/BuSAk

I like that she brought up the last failed American Fawlty Towers reboot.