Fawlty Towers Page 25

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2023, 6:37 AM

I think people are reading too much into this. TV, literature and film history is littered with successful shows, books and films which were initially rejected, criticised or dismissed by execs etc.

Including, as in Cleese's case, people coming off of a well liked and well known show, and still having their idea and script rejected.

Quote: chipolata @ 22nd May 2023, 6:37 AM

I think people are reading too much into this. TV, literature and film history is littered with successful shows, books and films which were initially rejected, criticised or dismissed by execs etc.

Exactly.
This kind of thing belongs on some sort of site dedicated to classic British comedy.
😇

Watching The Anniversary and always wonder how risqué the sign 'flowery twats' was in 1979 and if it was only allowed because it's not spoken.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 22nd June 2023, 9:14 PM

Watching The Anniversary and always wonder how risqué the sign 'flowery twats' was in 1979 and if it was only allowed because it's not spoken.

It was different every week.

Quote: Chappers @ 23rd June 2023, 8:46 PM

It was different every week.

That was the only one that viewers could have taken offence at especially when it was first aired but perhaps it didn't have the same meaning that it does now. This article shows the sign for each episode. It mentions a neighbourhood boy re-arranged the letters but it looks more likely someone from the production team.

https://www.megaministore.com/exotica/fawlty-towers-sign-letters

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 1st July 2023, 6:12 PM

This article shows the sign for each episode. It mentions a neighbourhood boy re-arranged the letters but it looks more likely someone from the production team.

Yeah, the production team did it, but the idea was it was being messed with by a boy (the paperboy IIRC) who Basil had angered. I think he's seen in one episode, running off.

Yep you see the lad messing with the sign in one episode

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 22nd June 2023, 9:14 PM

It was the age of Mrs Slocombe's pussy and solicitors Julian & Sandy's criminal practice that took up most of their time. Audiences were more innocent in those days.

The Anniversary Is probably my least favourite FT episode I think

I do like Ken Campbell slyly trying to wind Basil up though

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st July 2023, 10:02 PM

Ditto!

Yes. In the sadly missed days of video tapes, when I was taping a re-run of series two on to a 3 hour tape, I knew I wouldn't have enough room for all six episodes (as most of the episodes ran for up to five minutes over the 30 minutes mark) so The Anniversary was the one I opted NOT to record for posterity.

Was fairly recently rewatching all eps in my boxset and reading up a bit more on FT and somewhere I heard or read that The Anniversary is Cleese's 2nd favourite ep after Basil The Rat because it has his recent wife's greatest input into both the writing and the acting. I think it's a much more coherent ep than the final ep BTR which was really a bit of a wild mess if you critically analyse it, although a very funny one. The Anniversary was the ep most enhanced in my own estimation.

Many people say it's their least favourite, I'd have to guess that's because of one or two quite static patches straight after the very frenetic Kipper & Corpse and a longish scene in a dark room, which often makes for difficult viewing without the usual brightness of studio lights. But it has Polly being manipulative then punching Sybil's best friend and Basil being the worst husband ever (in Sybil's eyes) so I definitely rate it better than The Builders now. In most other sitcoms of course it wouldn't have the level of competition from the other eps it has in this.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st July 2023, 10:02 PM

Is that the one where Polly sits upstairs in the dark pretending to by Sybil? Because I bloody hate that one.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd July 2023, 10:24 AM

I'd have to guess that's because of one or two quite static patches straight after the very frenetic Kipper & Corpse and a longish scene in a dark room, which often makes for difficult viewing without the usual brightness of studio lights.

Oops, I hadn't seen this, I assume it is then!

Well I thought it was quite good, with Basil not wanting anyone to know Sybil had walked out on his backfired surprise anniversary party.

Had the lovely Una Stubbs and hilarious Ken Campbell in it too, for added bonus

Oh it is good!

It's just my least favourite out of the 12

The 'worst' FT episode is still bloody good !