Fawlty Towers Page 26

I'm sure I liked loads of other elements in the episode. That scene is just the most memorable bit.

Quote: lofthouse @ 1st July 2023, 10:02 PM

The Anniversary Is probably my least favourite FT episode I think

The Yank one for me. Doesn't escalate like the classics and the others are hardly in it.
Interesting that there was a tiny dip and then they went ballistic again with The Rat.

And Waldorf Salad seems to be the next least favourite after looking at viewer reviews across the internet. Not mine though I love that episode and not just for the nuts kitchen scene. The Builders would have be my least favourite although again I'd rather watch this than a thousand other sitcom eps.

I always struggle slightly with American characters and actors in British shows. For me there's something a bit jarring about them. See also Ed Winchester in The Fast Show.

In The Anniversary I love how Basil is trying his best to cover his deception but just making it worse and not being helped by Roger who knows Basil is being less than honest.

Yes, that's right. That was for the throat.
The puffing up started after he'd gone, okay?

- After?
- Yes, AFTER. Are you taking notes?

It's the way he raises his voice at Audrey and getting angry with his closest friends for showing concern that Sybil is not well.

I am currently listening to the Michael Palin Diaries ( The Python years )
And it's nice to hear that watching FT he was laughing himself silly in places , and wanted to meet John for lunch so he could say so.

Michael Palin is the Nicest Man In Comedy. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPUeB2ZqQU&pp=ygUZYWxleGVpIHNheWxlIGRpcmUgc3RyYWl0cw%3D%3D

We have a lot to thank Michael Palin for in making all of his written and video diaries of the Pythons. I don't think there is any other video footage of when they were writing Life Of Brian in Barbados apart from Michael's video footage and it's a dream come true to watch that.

His travel documentaries are always made with honesty and an appreciation for the people which is probably why he's permitted to film in places like North Korea and Iraq. I could manage being around drunk revellers firing AK-47s in to the air but no way could I climb the Malwiya Tower. Michael showed his grit doing that and standing on the top with the other tourists.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th July 2023, 9:30 AM

I don't think there is any other video footage of when they were writing Life Of Brian in Barbados apart from Michael's video footage and it's a dream come true to watch that.

My dreams normally involve the use of Melanie C and a shower attachment. But each to their own and all that.
The Anniversary is fine by me, but it gets a bit too silly towards the end. As I mentioned, my least favourite is Wankdorf Salad. It lacks the pressure cooker energy of the best episodes, and the ''''minor'''' characters are sawly missed.

In the words of Sylua Plath, phwoar!
Goremet Nite is probably my favourite.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 16th July 2023, 9:30 AM

We have a lot to thank Michael Palin for in making all of his written and video diaries of the Pythons. I don't think there is any other video footage of when they were writing Life Of Brian in Barbados apart from Michael's video footage and it's a dream come true to watch that.

Yes I agree
And listening to the Diaries it's quite funny that Palin & Jones moved out of the Hotel that Fawlty Towers was based on
But Eric & John stayed, as they probably thought there was material to be mined here or at least John did, Eric may have just been Idle

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 9th July 2023, 8:46 AM

The Builders would have be my least favourite although again I'd rather watch this than a thousand other sitcom eps.

For me, the moment in The Builders where he gets Polly to slap him is where the series really takes off. Like The Young Ones, Ft's first/pilot ep must've seemed strong at the time, but is mild compared to later episodes. And there's that laughter-free external scene where Polly sees the undercover defective.
Still Gourmet Night for me. Worth it just for the end where he looks for the duck in the cake.

I see A Touch of Class as one of the strongest Ep 1s of all time, I love it. The Builders isn't bad at all and has some great slapstick moments, but it's up against more than half a dozen all time classics, and the others aren't shabby either. Another series 1 ep I think's underrated is The Wedding Party, probably in my top six if pushed.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 17th July 2023, 1:08 PM

Still Gourmet Night for me. Worth it just for the end where he looks for the duck in the cake.

Can't recall where I saw this or read this but it's in a short list of Cleese's own favourite scenes. Another is one of my favourites where he's having a go at an imaginary chef in Waldorf Salad. I don't recall the car thrashing scene being in the list, which will surprise many.