Fawlty Towers Page 19

Sorry.
I would have thought that was fairly obvious.

Go down a storm. A shitstorm.

I thought this was fake... The only good thing is that I'll finally be able to use the words 'John Cleese' and 'total and utter f**king shit' in the same sentence.

You got no plot, you got no comedy, and you don't even have the other Blues Brother.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 8th February 2023, 12:14 PM

I thought this was fake... The only good thing is that I'll finally be able to use the words 'John Cleese' and 'total and utter f**king shit' in the same sentence.

Have you not seen Fierce Creatures? Or any of the films he's done in the last twenty-five years? They're not great.

I asked ChatGPT to write a scene for the new series, based on a news article announcing the new series. The only instruction I gave is that Basil's daughter is named Nancy. Here's the result:

(Basil Fawlty is pacing back and forth behind the reception desk, clearly agitated.)

Basil: (muttering to himself) This is a nightmare. A complete and utter nightmare.

(Nancy enters the reception, looking calm and collected.)

Nancy: Good morning, Father. Is everything all right?

Basil: (sighs) Good morning, Nancy. No, everything is not all right. I'm trying to run a hotel here, not a politically correct boot camp.

Nancy: What's wrong now?

Basil: (gestures towards a group of guests) Look at these people! They're asking for gluten-free bread, vegan sausages, and fair-trade coffee. It's like they've never heard of a proper English breakfast.

Nancy: (smiling) Oh, Father. It's the 21st century. We need to cater to their needs.

Basil: (throwing his hands up in the air) Cater to their needs? What happened to good old-fashioned hospitality?

Nancy: (calmly) We can still provide good hospitality, Father. We just need to adapt to the changing times.

Basil: (exasperated) Adapt? Adapt?! This is madness! Madness, I tell you! And don't get me started on all these politically correct attitudes. I can barely say "Good morning" anymore without offending someone!

(Nancy's phone rings. She answers it.)

Nancy: (into the phone) Hello? Yes, I'll be right there.

(She turns to Basil.)

Nancy: Father, I'm afraid I have to leave for a meeting. Can you hold down the fort for a little while?

Basil: (sighs) I suppose so.

(Nancy exits. Basil takes a deep breath and turns to the guests.)

Basil: (smiling tightly) Good morning. How may I help you today? And please don't make any requests that will make me question my sanity or my beliefs.

(The scene ends with Basil's smile slowly fading as the guests start to make more requests.)

Maybe they'll have a Russian family staying for a few days?

"Don't mention the war!"

Quote: Lazzard @ 8th February 2023, 8:39 AM

He'll play the old "But we're laughing at Basil, not with him" trick that Johnny Speight pulled with Alf Garnett.
Something I never quite believed.

Same here, especially as Speight and Mitchell went on and on about it in old interviews, whenever the subject of Garnett came up.

Is Sybil dead?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th February 2023, 8:08 PM

Is Sybil dead?

Syb ill?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 8th February 2023, 8:31 PM

Syb ill?

No. That was Polly in disguise.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th February 2023, 8:08 PM

Is Sybil dead?

I've been wondering how they'll deal with Sybil, what with poor Prunella Scales now retired due to Alzheimers. Guessing they will kill off the character?

Que?

So you won't be watching it, then.

I personally can't wait for the episode where his daughter volunteers up the hotel as a refuge for asylum seekers and Basil's head literally explodes with whether or not he can mention the war.