Love Soup Series 2 Page 3

I enjoyed it-and definitely think it works better in a half hour format. As has been said though, it's not the same without the American guy too. It's completely different as I too thought the whole point was how perfect they'd have been for each other!

I agree SBF.

I still love the other girls Alice works with-they're just *so* ditzy!

Just me that thought it was pretty poor then? I really liked the first series when it was first shown but caught some repeats last year and didn't think it was as good as I remembered it. And last nights episode really disappointed.

I really like Tamsin, couldn't see why she'd agreed to do it, but Sheridan, in my view, is really quite bad.

I thought the plot, for want of a better word, was disjointed and contrived and was not engaged by it at all. Unfortunately, as I was looking forward to it.

The best thing about it in fact, was that because I watched it I was still awake at 9.30 and caught the first 3 episodes of Gavin and Stacey, which was just as funny second time around.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ March 1, 2008, 10:06 PM

No, no, no! She is so gawky and toothy and wet with that horrible voice!

That is exactly the appeal.

Sam Wollaston in The Guardian seemed to hate the show.

Now that the American bloke has left, it's obviously a different show. It's no longer about two people who are perfect for each other who never meet. Now it's just about Alice and I wasn't sure if the show would work that way. Whatever Alice went through in the first series, Gil went through something similar and I enjoyed that. But, I was pleasantly surprised by Saturday's episode and now have no worries about how the show will work without Gil. Look forward to the nest episode.

I'm still pretty unconvinced. And being of the girlie persuasion, I'm missing the male element of the show that Gil provided. There was so much mileage in his storyline, I really don't understand why they've ditched it!
I feel that the premise of the show has been compromised. There were funny moments in the first episode of the second series, and I like the characters, but I found myself waiting for Gil to appear, and then it ended.
I'm unfulfilled.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ March 3, 2008, 11:57 AM

Sam Wollaston in The Guardian seemed to hate the show.

Well that makes it great then., If the Grauniad hate it then it must be good.

F**king tossers!

I thought it was semi-likeable but certainly not unmissable. The characters aren't real enough for you to care about them and there weren't many laughs.

Well, I thought it was jolly good. In lesser hands than Renwick's, the bedroom performance review subplot would all have been a hilarious misunderstanding. And the gentle/mental confusion was genius.

Renwick is the best British writer of farce. I appreciate that for many people that's like saying Marcel Marceau was the best mime in the world, or that lethal injection is the best form of execution, but I don't think you can beat a properly executed farce for laughs. And I don't mean Whoops, Vicar, I Appear To Be Wearing Your Wife's Knickers by Ray Cooney, I mean Frasier and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Anything from camp Cooney is brilliantly funny.

Well, it would be a boring old world if we all shared the same taste. Unless it was my taste, in which case it would be awesome.

But nowhere near as awesome as it would be if you liked Cooney works. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ March 5, 2008, 12:18 AM

But nowhere near as awesome as it would be if you liked Cooney works. ;)

Careful Aaron - that could be considered racist.