Love Soup Series 2 Page 10

Anybody else a bit stunned by the suicide scene in this past weekend's episode?

I guess I really didn't expect to see a leaping body slam into the sidewalk -- complete with oozing blood from the head -- in something that's supposed to be a romantic comedy.

Even in Alice's bizarre world, that seemed out of place.

(To say nothing about the dog-mounting scene...)

The dog mounting scene was a gorgeous delight. I clapped my hands like a small child. It was unexpected for this show. I liked it. As for the suicide, that was a little dark twist to an otherwise light comedy.

Another good episode tonight. I loved the actor's face when Alice turned up on his doorstep.

Then when the actress attacked him you all thought she was mental.

Also the reason for Gil's absence is still not confirmed in so many words.

It has been!!!

They said heart attack one or two episodes ago.

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 11:28 PM BST

It has been!!!

They said heart attack one or two episodes ago.

But have they said he's dead?

I reckon it's like Charley - a bit open ended in case he could come back.

I'm sure someone said 'dropped dead of a heart attack'.

But I honestly and with all my heart wish it was all misdirection and he would come back. Teary

Quote: zooo @ April 12 2008, 11:32 PM BST

I'm sure someone said 'dropped dead of a heart attack'.

But I honestly and with all my heart wish it was all misdirection and he would come back. Teary

So can anyone confirm it 100%?

Could all be a dream like Dallas.

I thought tonights episode was pretty poignant!

I'm not sure this show has ever really made me laugh out loud, more just smile happily. I really enjoy the show... but as yet don't think its that funny. Pleasantly amusing maybe, but not really funny... am I missing something?

Quote: Rebecca Davies @ April 13 2008, 12:27 AM BST

I thought tonights episode was pretty poignant!

I'm not sure this show has ever really made me laugh out loud, more just smile happily. I really enjoy the show... but as yet don't think its that funny. Pleasantly amusing maybe, but not really funny... am I missing something?

No - I think that's the main point but there's the occasional cringe and an ah! - I see.

She's not really going to settle for no fireworks is she? :(

*phew* Nice to know I'm just as sophisticated with my interpretation of TV as I pretend.

I ended up hiding under a pillow in sympathy humiliation for Alice when she turned up at the actors house. So brilliantly awful.

I fink he was modelled on Jude Law.

That 'stealice' thing was ace.

Quote: zooo @ April 13 2008, 12:56 AM BST

That 'stealice' thing was ace.

Haven't we all done that at one time?

Typical Renwick! Laughing out loud

She wont settle for no fireworks! I refuse to believe it.

She wont settle for no fireworks! I refuse to believe it.

There is a neewspaper column that mentions Love Soup, or rather a pointless right-wing rant from Peter Hitchens in the Daily Mail (see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/columnists/mailonsunday.html?in_article_id=559223&in_page_id=1791&in_author_id=224) entitled, "The week they sowed the seeds of a British secret police" that mentions Love Soup.

* TV executives tell me that no mainstream channel can now show old episodes of The Sweeney because they are considered too violent. Interesting how tastes change.

Last week the BBC's supposedly gentle, quirky comedy Love Soup showed a suicide in which a woman's body thudded into the pavement and oozed blood and, shortly afterwards, a scene in which a dog has sex with a woman.

When did the taboos against such things dissolve, exactly?

How come this seriously strange programme has one of the most enviable slots on licence-funded terrestrial TV?

Still, at least we know that the central character, played by Tamsin Greig, is an OK person because she is shown reading The Guardian on her day off from her job as boss of a cosmetics counter.

What a c**t.