Love Soup Series 2 Page 11

Rant? Yes. C**t? Pointless? Right-wing? Not at all. Well, not from that article anyway. Tastes change. Taboos change. And if he's right about The Sweeney, then there's another example of TV's barmy hypocrisy. It's an entirely valid - and correct - point.

Anyway, that made me realise that I didn't see last week's episode. I shall have to watch it later.

It's OK because it's a sitcom.

Also the dog sex was very heavily indicated but not actually shown just like the strap on a couple of weeks ago.

And when you watched the suicide you see the split second between it obviously being a dummy and then a real person - at least I did.

Quote: David Chapman @ April 13 2008, 7:01 PM BST

It's OK because it's a sitcom.

Alright, well let's have a Father Ted one-off special with Dougal f**king a 12-year old choirboy at Ted's funeral. Yeah?

Yeah. :)

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2008, 7:09 PM BST

Alright, well let's have a Father Ted one-off special with Dougal f**king a 12-year old choirboy at Ted's funeral. Yeah?

Yeah. :)

Did you miss that one?

You certainly expect different content, approach, subject-matter and levels of taste/acceptability when you watch comedy. I know it has been debated on the forums of what comedy constitutes. The range is vast.

David Renwick frequently seems to want to jolt the viewer out of complacency I think. I am not sure of course exactly what his motivation is and always watch, being aware that anything can happen. Overall I think this tension makes his programmes more compelling but at times I wonder if it is simply shock value. In One Foot in the Grave the wife of Angus Deayton was caught drink driving (I hope I got that right) and it was quite a jolt. The view of the suicide itself didn't add to the story in any way. The dog scene I just found a bit silly, thought it was quite funny. I think in a less well thought of comedy the same scene could be seen differently. The part in that episode that I found dark and disturbing was when she found out what her latest man did for a living.

Was that the end tonight?

I enjoyed it but expected a bit more of a dynamoc ending.

I think that was 9/12 (but may be wrong)!

Yep, there's at least another 2 episodes.

Oh - right then.

I could've sworn I read it somewhere.

Maybe they're saving the dynamoc ending till the last episode.

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2008, 12:26 AM BST

Maybe they're saving the dynamoc ending till the last episode.

Good idea I suppose.

I still reckon the yank will turn up alive.

I keep imagining it happening every episode!
I'm just making it harder for myself when he doesn't. :(

I hope he's alive! And poor Mark Heap yesterday! :(

Still seems odd to have him with Tamsin Greig though. Just because I have Statham and Caroline in my head for them when they're together.

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2008, 12:32 AM BST

I keep imagining it happening every episode!
I'm just making it harder for myself when he doesn't. :(

I wish I could.

I just watched this weeks episode.

It was good and well structured again - although not as dynamic as you would expect - but I think the best sitcom on TV at the moment.

I loved Milly and Cleo's banter about Douglas cutting himself in the bath. I know that sounds morbid, but it was when Cleo said "Why do they always have to do it in the bath!?" that got me.