Tory leadership Page 8

A lot of people think that Eton's a mess .

Talking about rolling on the cobbles I wouldn't fancy being Aarons minder at the Fringe, you'd never have your coat on and it can get freezing up there even in August.

Quote: Aaron @ 9th July 2019, 12:59 PM

This isn't a left-wing dictatorship. You're not going to be banned for disagreeing with me.

As opposed to right-wing dictatorships, which welcome people disagreeing with them?

Quote: chipolata @ 9th July 2019, 2:09 PM

As opposed to right-wing dictatorships, which welcome people disagreeing with them?

Fair point.

Trump's childish interference regarding our ambassador has been a God-send to Hunt, he can be seen to stand up for Britain against the bully, while Johnson comes across as Trump's poodle.

I doubt the UK' ambassadors description differed from all the other countries. This is now about we as a nation agreeing that we all play lap dog to his ego otherwise he'll slap tariffs on us.
The man was given a state visit and all the trimmings how long ago? It cost us millions that were and remain needed everywhere else in the country and look what good it did.
The man besmirched the daughter of a true American hero John McCain and yet those who you would expect to protect the family and the name of a true American hero , opted to stand around shouting 'Make America Great Again' I have news for them it was already great and men like McCain made it that way,
Trump is a coward on so many levels and in order to get things done we will have to creep around him and lick his boots be because we have to.

Can't help but feel, in the same way that Facebook fixed the referendum, that it's all a conspiracy by the US to keep us under.

I would guess by watching last nights Tory leadership debate that no one changed their mind.

You're right Ste, Boris is what they want and he's what they will get. After that Boris has to convince Parliament and that wont happen so its General Election or a second ref on the cards if not both.
In the interim this country is falling to bits and no one has any idea of whats coming next and even fewer are prepared for it, as such I fear that even darker times loom.

I would love to know the motivation for the leaked ambassadorial memos. Who in the Civil Service would see it as a good thing - who gains. Afraid to say it might just be for the money....

I think it is just money, because there are no winners as far as I can see.

As for the debate: two people completely disconnected from the reality of what's been happening for the last three years, and deluding their audience into thinking they can achieve a different outcome.

Quote: chipolata @ 10th July 2019, 11:45 AM

I think it is just money, because there are no winners as far as I can see.

Some commentators are saying it was from high up and to the right - they need a 'pliant' man in place who'll do what he's told by the Mighty Trump - not some awkward squad truth-speaker. The leaks are a good excuse to give him the elbow - significantly Boris has refused to rule out sacking him.

I doubt there is any man or woman who can deal with Trump as he is a two bob Caligula and can't be spoken to and that's the nub of it. The world will have to wait for America to wake up to it or for them to accept it even more and so begin the Trump Dynasty, because that's his plan whatever way you look at it,

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 10th July 2019, 12:19 PM

begin the Trump Dynasty, because that's his plan whatever way you look at it,

Huh?

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th July 2019, 9:46 AM

I would love to know the motivation for the leaked ambassadorial memos. Who in the Civil Service would see it as a good thing - who gains. Afraid to say it might just be for the money....

Speculation is it was leaked by a senior cabinet member who won't survive into the likely Boris cabinet and fancies the role for themselves. Definitely political tricks at play rather than mere money.

The Ambassador is 65 years old. He's just got himself the perfect dinner party story and will be a legend down his local pub. He lost his job (entered retirement) for telling the truth. :S Once the full damage of the Administration is felt, everyone would be like "Why didn't someone stop Trump ?"