Tory leadership Page 6

That's you in a blond wig, Roody.

Quote: beaky @ 24th June 2019, 11:35 AM

That's you in a blond wig, Roody.

You are correct, beaky!

The woman in the photo is my long-time secret girlfriend, Katherine Ryan!

Some people of my acquaintance are suggesting Boris is setting all this up so he can drop out. Sounds feasible given his track record.

I like how nobody cares about this anymore. It's like as a nation we've just become dead inside.

Quote: chipolata @ 1st July 2019, 9:41 PM

I like how nobody cares about this anymore. It's like as a nation we've just become dead inside.

I think 'despair' is the word you're looking for.

Quote: chipolata @ 1st July 2019, 9:41 PM

The problem is (i) it's dragging on far too long and (ii) none of us get a say anyway so what's the point of listening to all the interviews and hustings.

With all the hooroar about choosing between Hunt and Johnson, the fact that it took the EU council many days of similar type of arguments to decide who will be the next EU leaders barely hit the UK media and the EU council ignored the recommendations of the MEPs in the EU Parliament & did their own choosing.

And I note that they say, the choice has to be RATIFIED by the 700 or so MEPs of the EU parliament, though I'm pretty sure that when I read through the EU procedural regulations a few months ago, it said something like the EU Parliament would VOTE on the final selections { rather like the 160,000 or so Conservative party members voting on the last TWO selected}

Quote: billwill @ 4th July 2019, 2:58 PM

though I'm pretty sure that when I read through the EU procedural regulations a few months ago

You certainly know how to have fun, Billwill!

Quote: chipolata @ 4th July 2019, 5:32 PM

You certainly know how to have fun, Billwill!

Yeah, some of those documents can be really hard to find, and I don't actually like wading through the legalese therein, but I'd rather believe them than the propaganda bites put out by both sides of the Brexit argument. I waded through the EU procedures documents because I wanted to find out if the EU is really as non-democratic as the LEAVE campaign claims. From the documents I decided that it seemed after all, fairly democratic, in that the ultimate leaders were voted upon by the 700+ elected members of the EU Parliament, but then I read the News yesterday and realised it was all a sham. The MEPs are being asked to RATIFY the undemocratic choice. For each post one candidate: yes or no. Of course the sheep will all note YES.

As for propaganda bites: for instance, Hammond has now 'come out' as being definitely against no-deal exit, but did he say so in so many words when spouting the 'results' of the economic simulation. No he just quoted the WORST CASE scenario for no deal and didn't bother to say that this only occurred in less than one run per hundred of the simulation runs. Nor did he make clear that the no-deal scenario that he quoted assumes that the UK will not make ANY trade deals with the EU for at least 15 YEARS. It wasn't a no-deal scenario as really expected it was a NO-DEAL-EVER scenario.

And he made it clear that NONE of the Brexit scenarios gave any benefit to the UK. Not at all surprising singe that was one of the fundamental assumptions fed into the computer simulation. Garbage-in = Garbage-out as we computer people describe it. All plausibly deniable later because the real facts are there in the full reports of the simulation , though mostly in tiny footnotes.

I'd like to see a computer that can work out what the French will do next as they don't know themselves. I also hope that the models in question at least factored in the level of animosity we have created with our trading partners

A lot of people seem to forget that this started off as a day trip to the sunny uplands and money for all . Now its trenches and the Dunkirk spirit may be required for those reliant on medicine or food as it will be in short supply till we can build a mighty fleet of oak and man it with hardy souls who can set off looking for islands not on Google Earth so that we can do trade deals with them right away on GDK rules (Google Doesn't Know) rules . Lets hope Liam Fox can speak Penguin as I expect there may be some at the talks.

As this is really the Brexit and Anti Brexit thread have you read the news that Italy have started arresting Captains of migrant rescue boats for facilitating illegal immigration to Italy and the boats and Captains happen to be German, causing Germany to counter accuse Italy of flaunting Maritime Law. It is the result of a long build up of tension between Southern Europe and Germany/France, the haughty controllers of EU law who have seen Italy, Greece and Iberia become close to bankruptcy and now Italy be forced to take in the war torn world's refugees as well as millions of chancers from Africa who just hate where they live and are joining the masses fleeing to Europe.

Also in the news outgoing EU pres Junker tries to claim he doesn't agree with the behind the doors selection of his successor. Oh really, why didn't you try to stop it then? Others are calling it the reason member states like Britain are leaving and/or threatening to leave and/or reform the fundamentally Undemocratic Cabal that is the EU. Wasn't a Greek or an Italian or a Bulgar but another f**king Krau...erm German they just invited to be the next Chief without asking anyone else whether they minded or not/to vote on it. When will these clowns wake up and see what we see?

We as a nation are currently waiting to see who our next leader is?. We will find out via the actions 16,0000 voters many of who joined in anticipation of this vote and who are openly known to have access to any number of ballot papers. These votes will then be counted by members of the conservative party. I don't know what the French word for irony is? But I suspect it may be irony.

Technically they are voting for the leader of the conservative party not the PM.

The leader of the majority political party is not necessarily chosen to be the PM but that is usually the case.

Whenever a sentence starts with the word 'Technically' the hairs on my neck tend to make little dents on my collar.
Let's just stick to the facts in evidence as its the easiest way to derive an answer based on fact.
Fact it is already accepted that voters have access to multiple ballot papers.
Fact the party has openly admitted it has a problem with 'Entryism' for this ballot
Fact the winner will then become the Prime Minister
So no matter who wins, the vote it was accepted in advance that the process was open to rigging making the outcome moot?
You tell me how that can be right?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th July 2019, 6:12 PM

As this is really the Brexit and Anti Brexit thread

I think you'll find all threads eventually turn into a Brexit and Anti-Brexit thread. Including, I might add, the "Brexit" thread - although that does, surprisingly, have only nine replies to date.