The Mash Report Page 5

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 8th September 2022, 7:39 PM

Of all the weeks to record on a Wednesday.

Well that's a blessing.

Axed pretty definitively now.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7234/late-night-mash-cancelled/

Of course! They dared to lampoon the Tories, much to the anger of the Director General and Chairman. All kowtow to our vile government!

I'm cooking cottage pie for dinner tonight. I've browned the mince and added the chopped veg & gravy, which is simmering along nicely. Just got to prepare the potatoes to go on the top now.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 13th March 2023, 4:57 PM

I'm cooking cottage pie for dinner tonight. I've browned the mince and added the chopped veg & gravy, which is simmering along nicely. Just got to prepare the potatoes to go on the top now.

Thanks for that. I'll take that in mind next time I try.

A man with a massive chip on his shoulder - Nish Kumar

Good riddance to bad rubbish

I enjoyed Late Night Mash. I thought it improved massively when Rachel took over as host, Ellie Taylor and Steve N Allen always made me laugh. I have to admit a lot of the sketch stuff never landed for me, beating a one note joke to death a lot of the time, but otherwise it's sad to see one of the few satire shows bite the dust. This means that Have I Got News For You is pretty much the only UK satire show on TV isn't it? That's quite sad.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th March 2023, 9:37 AM

..............but otherwise it's sad to see one of the few satire shows bite the dust.

Bring back TW3 I say, but the problem is most of them are dead now

**EDIT In fact, I don't think any of them are alive now. Oh dear, I am old. 😟

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2023, 9:42 AM

I wonder whether it would even be allowed these days.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2023, 9:45 AM

I don't remember it being that controversial was it? But then you're too young to remember (?) 😁

"Hello, Good Evening (checks clip board), and Welcome............"

Wasn't old enough to watch myself.
But it ruffled a lot of feathers - took sides against apartheid when the Beeb's position was to be neutral.
They'd have had a word or two to say about Gary Lineker.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 14th March 2023, 9:37 AM

This means that Have I Got News For You is pretty much the only UK satire show on TV isn't it? That's quite sad.

As the story makes clear, there's also The Last Leg and Frankie Boyle's New World Order. The Ranganation also opens with a topical news bit each week, and The John Bishop Show contains topical stand-up rants.

(Discussions about what constitutes satire and what is merely topical aside.)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 14th March 2023, 9:42 AM

**EDIT In fact, I don't think any of them are alive now. Oh dear, I am old. 😟

Millicent Martin and Kenneth Cope would be surprised to hear of their apparent demise, but yes, slim pickings as it were.

I do wonder if we have the writing talent at the moment to make anything quite so roundly biting, but revivals of TW3 or The Frost Report would be greatly, greatly welcome.

Quote: Lazzard @ 14th March 2023, 9:45 AM

It would be much more constrained on many fronts. But I suspect that would be a more keenly-felt change to the producers and the innate boundary-pushing of the format, not in dulled-down satire.

Quote: Aaron @ 14th March 2023, 10:38 AM

Millicent Martin and Kenneth Cope would be surprised to hear of their apparent demise, but yes, slim pickings as it were.

Oh dear, sorry Millicent (who I had the hots for!!) and Kenneth.
It was THE thing to watch after we piled out of the pub with extras from the offie to partake of at home in front of the box.
It was a great programme, and all credit to them, when they ditched everything, they had planned to cobble together a shortened programme (with no satire!) dedicated to JFK only a day after was assassinated, which was very moving.