The Mash Report Page 2

The Mash Report. Image shows from L to R: Jason Forbes, Newsreader Tom (Steve N Allen), Newsreader Susan (Ellie Taylor), Nish Kumar, Pierre Novellie, Rachel / Emma (Rachel Parris), Andrew Hunter Murray, Greig Johnson. Copyright: Princess Productions.

The Mash Report

Topical comedy series for BBC Two, written by the team behind The Daily Mash and hosted by Nish Kumar

Kenneth

• Friday 19th January 2018, 2:32am
  • Australia
  • 5,224 posts
Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th January 2018, 11:08 PM

just a poor man's Brass Eye, with a bit of "aren't we funny and clever" arrogance.

Precisely. Too reliant on swearing for laughs. The studio audience detracts massively from any attempt to be deadpan. Why is it there? So the 5-year-olds watching know when to laugh?

It is shamefully juvenile dross. Clever comedy should attack the message, the hypocrisy, the pretentious conceit, not a person's appearance. Anyone could write this kind of crap. It's like listening to a bunch of 10-year-olds who have learnt how to swear and think they're amazingly cool. Sad that the BBC cannot come up with better.

Lazzard

• Friday 19th January 2018, 2:33pm
  • Ludlow, England
  • 4,495 posts

Yes - they all seem to be under the impression they are in a much better show than they actually are.

paulted

• Friday 19th January 2018, 6:09pm
  • 127 Inkerman Terrace, Newcastle, England
  • 547 posts

The participants seem to be enjoying this far more than the viewers. This is a programme with a bunch of second rate comedians who are not that great when appearing on Mock The Week. On the latter show they struggle with comic timing and are usually shown up by comparison with other panellists who have superior stage craft.

playfull

• Saturday 20th January 2018, 1:47pm
  • Nottingham, England
  • 1,588 posts

Loving Rachel Parris in this - thought her apparent add libs were a high point. Like the deadpan news reporters. Pity about Nish though. Remember thinking the same about him when he helmed Newsjack.

fasty

• Saturday 27th October 2018, 8:11am
  • Derbys, England
  • 301 posts

Back again - still just the one 'joke' though :(

Sitcomfan64

• Sunday 28th October 2018, 4:23pm
  • England
  • 566 posts

I like this, despite some of the satire being a bit too on the nose, Rachel Parris remains the best part of it, though I do like how they showcase newer comics like Catherine Bohart, Ellie Taylor's deadpan newsreader is a lot of fun too.

Chris Hallam

• Tuesday 5th February 2019, 8:43am
  • Exeter, United Kingdom
  • 226 posts

Excellent series. Agree largely with Sitcomfan64's comments above. Rachel Parris is the star but Nish is fine too.

Paul Wimsett

• Tuesday 5th February 2019, 9:15am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,197 posts

Have they turned these YouTube clips into a series yet? (Joke)

Old Lady Leg

• Tuesday 5th February 2019, 11:20am
  • Complete and utter Kent, United Kingdom
  • 449 posts

I don't find it funny. I find myself just sitting and staring at it until it ends. I try not to look too hard for the comedy in shows, I like to wait until it pokes me, but I'm just not being poked and I can't put my finger on what exactly I'm not 'getting'. Other people love it, so it's probably a case of whatever floats your boat, I guess. Michael Spicer's bits stood out (ooh err missus), but apart from that...

jsg

• Friday 6th September 2019, 9:03am
  • United Kingdom
  • 231 posts

It seems that, in many ways, nothing has been learned since 10 O'Clock Live.

Sitcomfan64

• Friday 6th September 2019, 9:07am
  • England
  • 566 posts

I enjoyed last night's. As ever, Rachel Parris steals it, and Andrew Hunter Murray was great value. I don't like Geoff Norcott but that's mainly due to his right wing politics.

Firkin

• Friday 6th September 2019, 10:15am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 683 posts

I thought they were punching very hard against Brexit, almost as if they were slagging of the boss that just sacked them. Even Geoff Norcott seemed restrained, he's very good when he's allowed to go for it. Rachel Parris did steal the show, with Norcott and Nish doing a good job imo. Not overly fond of Parris's other personas but she does OTT patronising so well.