The Mash Report Page 2

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th January 2018, 11:08 PM

just a poor man's Brass Eye, with a bit of "aren't we funny and clever" arrogance.

Precisely. Too reliant on swearing for laughs. The studio audience detracts massively from any attempt to be deadpan. Why is it there? So the 5-year-olds watching know when to laugh?

It is shamefully juvenile dross. Clever comedy should attack the message, the hypocrisy, the pretentious conceit, not a person's appearance. Anyone could write this kind of crap. It's like listening to a bunch of 10-year-olds who have learnt how to swear and think they're amazingly cool. Sad that the BBC cannot come up with better.

Yes - they all seem to be under the impression they are in a much better show than they actually are.

The participants seem to be enjoying this far more than the viewers. This is a programme with a bunch of second rate comedians who are not that great when appearing on Mock The Week. On the latter show they struggle with comic timing and are usually shown up by comparison with other panellists who have superior stage craft.

Loving Rachel Parris in this - thought her apparent add libs were a high point. Like the deadpan news reporters. Pity about Nish though. Remember thinking the same about him when he helmed Newsjack.

Back again - still just the one 'joke' though :(

I like this, despite some of the satire being a bit too on the nose, Rachel Parris remains the best part of it, though I do like how they showcase newer comics like Catherine Bohart, Ellie Taylor's deadpan newsreader is a lot of fun too.

Excellent series. Agree largely with Sitcomfan64's comments above. Rachel Parris is the star but Nish is fine too.

Have they turned these YouTube clips into a series yet? (Joke)

I don't find it funny. I find myself just sitting and staring at it until it ends. I try not to look too hard for the comedy in shows, I like to wait until it pokes me, but I'm just not being poked and I can't put my finger on what exactly I'm not 'getting'. Other people love it, so it's probably a case of whatever floats your boat, I guess. Michael Spicer's bits stood out (ooh err missus), but apart from that...

It seems that, in many ways, nothing has been learned since 10 O'Clock Live.

I enjoyed last night's. As ever, Rachel Parris steals it, and Andrew Hunter Murray was great value. I don't like Geoff Norcott but that's mainly due to his right wing politics.

I thought they were punching very hard against Brexit, almost as if they were slagging of the boss that just sacked them. Even Geoff Norcott seemed restrained, he's very good when he's allowed to go for it. Rachel Parris did steal the show, with Norcott and Nish doing a good job imo. Not overly fond of Parris's other personas but she does OTT patronising so well.

It would be easy to attribute the awfulness of this to its obviousness. But the political comedy of Stewart Lee for example is if anything more upfront about its leaning, and also much better. The problem with this is its lack of identity, it's a pastiche of an American format.

I am still enjoying it though the sketch bits do have a tendancy to run the joke into the ground and go on far too long. Rachel Parris and Ellie Taylor continue to steal the show. I know they have Geoff Norcott on as right wing balance but I'm struggling to see why aa even he struggles to find something positive to say.

I tried watching a recent episode and could only assume this is an educational show. Because your intelligence will be so insulted by the infantile, unfunny smug, that you'll turn off the screen and pick up a book instead. Such as 365 Days of Learning Fun (ages 5 to 7).