Pulling - Series 1 & 2 Page 3

One would think so, but alas, it is not the case.

I for one thought it was funny hours television, there's nothing else on the box at the moment this good...I myself was also not expecting too much as the trailers looked distinctly average. Having said that i'm surprised theres such difference of opinion having seen it...the performances are great...i've watched the next episode online and it didn't disappoint...if you only gave it ten minutes i urge you to watch more. Beats the mitchell and webb rubbish by a country mile.

I watched it tonight too. A hard one to call. As a "comedy", it'd be absolutely f**king shocking, with only a small handful of funny moments throughout the whole hour, but as a "comedy drama", it wasn't all that bad. Not brilliant of course, and I'm not sure that I'd go out of my way to tune in to it, but a relatively entertaining hour of TV.

But then, there was absolutely shit all else on the box tonight, so I suppose my sense of reasoning may have been a little off.

Well be it more comedy drama and not sitcom...it still made me laugh more than alot of so called comedy at the moment be they sketch format or sitcom. I just don't get the appeal of some sketch shows at the moment, they're not a patch on the comedy of previous years...perhaps my outlook has changed and i'm after more sophisticated humour...not having a laughter track helps.

As SlagA pointed out, comedy drama is a genre that is neither comedy nor drama. For example, Pulling isn't remotely funny and fails to engage on a dramatic level.

you've clearly made your mind up wheeler...however I couldn't disagree with you more...no it's not the best comedy/comedy drama in the world, but to me and that's an opinion I thought it was very good. Out of interest what is your favourite comedy at the moment?

The Britcoms on offer at the moment are pretty poor IMHO (Pulling isn't even the worst, which says it all really - that award goes to the appalling Jam and Jerusalem, with Tittybangbang not far behind). But if I had to pick one I would go for Lead Balloon which is nothing special although it has its moments. In terms of 2006 as a whole, I would nominate Extras - again, far from perfect but it did have some laugh out loud moments.

I hope my posts don't give the impression that I have a problem with people who like Pulling. I don't. The world would be a boring place blah blah blah. My problem is with people who make a pathetic attempt to patronise me for stating an opinion and, when that doesn't work, hurl insults in my general direction.

The reason forums are so popular is down to debates, so i welcome agreement and disagreement...so i've no qualms that 'pulling' isn't everyones cup of tea. Lead Balloon is good and I've watched four of the episodes but it hasn't grabbed me...i want to be running home to see the next epsiode, that hasn't happened since the office...other sitcoms have come and gone which have been enjoyable, I remember the first series of nighty night nearly got me but not quite. Saxondale left me somewhat disappointed, I had hoped that would be it!

I'm new to this site but looks a good place to find out about comedy related issues...and obviously a good place for banter...

Quote: Ollie @ November 27, 2006, 5:30 PM

Lead Balloon is good and I've watched four of the episodes but it hasn't grabbed me...i want to be running home to see the next epsiode, that hasn't happened since the office...

I agree that it's not essential viewing, but the best of a bad bunch. BTW, I've looked at your profile and agree with many of the shows that you list as favourites. Usually when I disagree with someone on this forum about a show, I look at their favourites and realise that we have nothing in common and that further discussion is pointless, but this is one of those occasions when two people have similar comedy tastes but differ on one particular show. :)

I'm beginning to doubt myself now! No honestly I thought it was good and I'm sticking to that...it's weird that I even gave it ago as the trailers looked terrible...Not exactly for this forum and not a comparison but did you like say 'teachers' something with strong characters and easy watching with humorous storylines?

ahh... nice to see you two have made up! <3 :D

Just to throw a spanner in the works I thought Lead Balloon was pretty good - still, as you say, each to their own. At least we all seem to be in agreement that Jam and Jersualem is unlikely to win any awards unless it bucks up its ideas quickly.

Quote: Mark @ November 27, 2006, 9:57 PM

At least we all seem to be in agreement that Jam and Jersualem is unlikely to win any awards ...

I think it highly likely that it will win a stack of awards.

Rather than say that comedy-drama is neither comedy nor drama, wouldn't a more positive way of looking at it be that comedy-drama is both comedy and drama. Think of Cold Feet. That pulled off what is a very difficult trick, in that it was comedic and dramatic. So did the first series of Life Begins, I'd say. And Auf Wiedersehen Pet. It's too easy to say that a hyphenate is neither one nor the other. It's like saying jazz-funk is neither jazz nor funk, when in fact it is both. It's also shit, but that's beside the point.

So I guess that makes Pulling sitcom's answer to jazz-funk?

Or Indie/britpop...massive following but it's not going to please everyone.

Wheeler = S Club 7
Ollie = Blur

Just jesting!