Pulling - Series 1 & 2 Page 4

Ollie, please note that I'm now the moderator of this particular section. Comparing me to S Club 7 is even more offensive than calling me a c***flap, as far as I'm concerned. You have been warned. :D

er okay how do you like these apples!

Ollie = The Beatles
Wheeler = The Vengaboys...

now that's too far! I now need a new angle of being offensive!

I'm beginning to repeat myself, which brings me back round to That mitchell and Webb Look same old same old flog a dead horse same sketch etc!

Andrew has a point regarding hypenation etc, but I think the biggest problem with this "comedy-drama" genre is that all too often it's used to describe shows which, quite frankly, aren't. IMO, it seems to be one of those "catch-all" type classifications, used when the press office (or whoever) can't quite pin the show down to anything else.

For example; pretty much all shows have elements of humor in them - including proper dramas, even those period ones for which the BBC is famous - but they don't get described as comedy-period-drama, comedy-news, or comedy-documentary because they've got a more exact genre that they can be put into.

Hell, if anyone's watched Holby City or Casualty over the past couple of years, they'll know that they can be funnier than the latest "hit" sitcom, but they're not described as "comedy-drama" because, again, they have a bit more specificity in their subject.

Anyway, that's my two penneth worth.

Quote: Ollie @ November 29, 2006, 2:03 PM

er okay how do you like these apples!

Ollie = The Beatles
Wheeler = The Vengaboys...

You're making things worse for yourself.

In an effort to combat a patch of writers block and to occupy my mind while I ploughed through a plate of sausage sarnies, I have just watched episode 4 of Pulling on the BBC3 web site. We only have channels 1 through 4, 5 we miss out on because we live, I don't know, on a hill or the side of a valley or something, for the same reason we can't get free view, and I'm too tight to pay for anything else. So I've not watched any prior to now and, well, I have to say, I quite enjoyed it. I took comedymans advice and 'did my research' and certainly Ms Horman seems to have a pretty good pedegree. If it comes to BBC2 I dare say I'll give it a go from the start. Head and shoulders above J&J IMHO. Actually, that's no compliment, but you know what I mean.

Well I'm awaiting the next epsiode with real excitement...seen the one on BBC3 tonight already and need the fix of the new one that'll be online...

I'd go as far saying my order of comedy

Partridge
Office
Phoenix
People like us
Nighty night
Peep show
Curb
Pulling
Catterick
Little Britain

so it's in my top ten! it may move up depending on the last two episodes ...as if anyone really cares about my opinion like!

Steve, I'm glad you added 'Actually, that's no compliment, but you know what I mean' after saying Pulling was 'Head and shoulders above J&J IMHO.'

Having watched both of them, I can't decide which one is the biggest turkey. Dawn French and her comedy wig vs. Pulling's annoying central character and the twats she hangs around with? It's a tough one to call.

I guess it just made me laugh more than J&J. The episode (of Pulling) I saw made me laugh out loud a couple of times. Which is actually pretty poor for a sit com.

I'm obviously standing alone on this one...I'll stick to my guns though

Quote: Wheeler @ December 7, 2006, 2:34 PM

Steve, I'm glad you added 'Actually, that's no compliment, but you know what I mean' after saying Pulling was 'Head and shoulders above J&J IMHO.'

Having watched both of them, I can't decide which one is the biggest turkey. Dawn French and her comedy wig vs. Pulling's annoying central character and the twats she hangs around with? It's a tough one to call.

Definitely J&J. Pulling isn't especially funny, but it does seem to have something kind of entertaining about it. Well, in comparison to J&J anyway.

I've just watched episode 5 online and think there are some very good lines and really good dialogue...I know it sounds like i'm on a one man love please 'pulling' campaign but I'd love to know your opinions...perhaps it's not just the comedy I love but also the characters I think in the main they are really strong and wait in antcipation at anything Karen's foul mouth comes out with...

Well, you know my opinion, but here's another one. I was out for Christmas drinks with friends last night. One of them started going on about Jam and Jerusalem and how much he liked it. Funniest thing on TV for years, apparently. I then asked him if he had seen Pulling. His response: "Yes. It's absolute shit."

Make of that what you will.

all I'd say to that is that if he thinks Jam and Jerusulem is the funniest thing he's seen in years then his opinion cannot be trusted in any way. Obviously.

Quote: Wheeler @ December 8, 2006, 10:22 AM

Well, you know my opinion, but here's another one. I was out for Christmas drinks with friends last night. One of them started going on about Jam and Jerusalem and how much he liked it. Funniest thing on TV for years, apparently. I then asked him if he had seen Pulling. His response: "Yes. It's absolute shit."

Make of that what you will.

ROFL! Laughing out loud

Quote: kate Campbell @ December 8, 2006, 2:58 PM

all I'd say to that is that if he thinks Jam and Jerusulem is the funniest thing he's seen in years then his opinion cannot be trusted in any way. Obviously.

I don't know about that. He also likes Hyperdrive, Tittybangbang and Dogtown, so he obviously knows what he is talking about.