Red Dwarf X Page 9

Series 8 is running on Dave today, think Series 7 is on tomorrow (they're 'counting down' so It'll end with Series 1).

8 is better than I remember. Didn't like the whole prison arc originally, but I've enjoyed the couple of episodes I've watched today.

Quote: Feeoree @ September 8 2012, 1:42 PM BST

Series 8 is running on Dave today, think Series 7 is on tomorrow (they're 'counting down' so It'll end with Series 1).

8 is better than I remember. Didn't like the whole prison arc originally, but I've enjoyed the couple of episodes I've watched today.

I watched a few episodes too. I was actually surprised to be laughing as much as I did, certainly more than the first time I watched it; there are a lot of good gags and situations. The main problem I have is the meaningless comedy set pieces that do nothing to further the plot and make it look like a more conventional sit com. One bit in particular made me cringe, namely the sequence when Cat, Lister and Kochanski disguise themselves as the "Dibley family". This was nothing more than attempted crowd pleasing and seemed like episode filler. It was sad to see, I hope that the new series avoids this kind of thing.

Quote: TBone @ September 9 2012, 9:08 AM BST

One bit in particular made me cringe, namely the sequence when Cat, Lister and Kochanski disguise themselves as the "Dibley family". This was nothing more than attempted crowd pleasing and seemed like episode filler. It was sad to see, I hope that the new series avoids this kind of thing.

I totally agree...they revisited the "Dibley-thing" a few times and apart from the first time it wasn't in the slightest "necessary" or even funny.

Quote: TBone @ September 9 2012, 9:08 AM BST

I watched a few episodes too. I was actually surprised to be laughing as much as I did, certainly more than the first time I watched it; there are a lot of good gags and situations. The main problem I have is the meaningless comedy set pieces that do nothing to further the plot and make it look like a more conventional sit com. One bit in particular made me cringe, namely the sequence when Cat, Lister and Kochanski disguise themselves as the "Dibley family". This was nothing more than attempted crowd pleasing and seemed like episode filler. It was sad to see, I hope that the new series avoids this kind of thing.

I agree. I don't want to see any Dibleys, Ace Rimmer or Lister's GELF wife.

Quote: Percival Marsh @ September 10 2012, 7:13 AM BST

But the GELF wife was funny...or more precisely the situation that Lister is married to a hideous monster that has fallen for him. But the other characters were just embarrassing after their first appearance.

Quote: Percival Marsh @ September 10 2012, 7:13 AM BST

I'm not supposed to give anything away but I saw none of that in the two shows I saw recorded. It's like 5 & 6. Really. I'm not just saying that.

Dan

Watched some of series 7 yesterday, on Dave, and they weren't as terrible as I remember them being.

Same here
That's why we will like series ten eventually
But not straight away
Actually after back to earth it may be a lot quicker

I saw some of series VII the other day. It was the bit where Kryten creates 'The Rimmer Experience'. All I could do was shake my head.

Quote: Ben @ September 11 2012, 7:51 AM BST

I saw some of series VII the other day. It was the bit where Kryten creates 'The Rimmer Experience'. All I could do was shake my head.

Love that bit; the Rimmer song!

I quite agree, I hated that bit, completely cringe-making and unnecessary. In general I hate songs on comedy shows.

How could you not like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhbi23V6tAw

I agree...it was an "alibi-episode", almost completely plotless.

The plot: "Episode start...a few introductory jokes...then (with no special reason):let's see what's inside rimmer's mind and sing a song...oh he's a bastard (oh, that's something new!!)...end of episode"

SINGS: "Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer-!
He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner-!"

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ September 11 2012, 9:21 AM BST

How could you not like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhbi23V6tAw

Fair enough, tongue tied was OK. Danny's got a great voice!