Red Dwarf X Page 13

Loved it!

Thank f**k they concentrated on the core strengths of the series, ditching the extraneous characters, limp catchphrases and all the other bollocks that plagued the last few series.

The continuity was all f**ked up as usual, but it's a bit late to worry about that kind of thing.

Hmmmm, well, I thought the first half was quite promising, but the second half failed to keep my interest really. It wasn't classic Red Dwarf, but I wouldn't say it was dire either. Just kind of average.

Just been reading the reactions on this thread and wow! It seems like I'm the only one who thinks it's utter dogshit. Predictable jokes and a completely rushed and contrived plot. The bit at the end with the simulants' hidden agenda was from the f**king moon! The set up for that plot 'twist' was only a minute before when Howard described how Crawford was the only remaining crew member apart from him. This is a long way from the brilliantly well written highs of series 1-6, piss poor!

Quote: Ben @ October 4 2012, 9:18 PM BST

It's better than series 7 & 8 so far. Didn't see Back to Earth, but imagine it's better than that as well.

I agree, definitely better than 7 & 8. And I can confirm it's 4983442 times better than series 9. It would be quite difficult to say it's as good as the first 6 series though for me... mostly because those series are classic to me, so I've sort of put them on a peddle stool in my mind.

They've got their mojo back. So pleased, and looking forward to the rest of the series even more now.

Nothing will be back to the brilliance (IMO) of series 3-5, but this is great. Can tell they're so much more into it this time round.

Interesting, I was expecting at least a few nominal lines explaining why they all look older, but it just dived in as if it had never paused.

Quote: TBone @ October 4 2012, 9:37 PM BST

Predictable jokes and a completely rushed and contrived plot.

I definitely noticed that a lot of the jokes could be seen coming from a mile off. The whole "tv shopping phonecall" plot strand was pretty weak as well. I suppose Red Dwarf always suffered from these issues, but the surrounding material was always that bit stronger.

Quote: billwill @ October 4 2012, 9:39 PM BST

Interesting, I was expecting at least a few nominal lines explaining why they all look older, .

Because they're older! Years have passed, for us like them, and they're still drifitng through space.

Enjoyed it a lot, lots of funny bits.

I liked it. It's not top form but I laughed more than I have recently at most stuff. The moose stuff was excellent and the 'hosed him down' line was laugh out loud funny.

Great stuff. Carry on.

Dan

Yeah, the "hosed him down" line was a good 'un. I'll certainly watch the rest of the series, but not sure I'll be adding to my DVD collection.

Kryten's new look was a bit odd at first; not sure what's gone on with the nose in particular! Good to see Chris Barrie back on screen being funny.

It reminded me why I liked this show in the early days.

Reddwarf was always a jolly, slightly ramshackle show, with good lines and some enviably sharp scifi sensibilities. Andthat's what that was.

Not as godawful as I expected and the 'helping the underpriviledged' line actually made me chuckle. Yep, elderly holograms and fat robots don't make a lot of sense, but you can get past that if you try.

The laugh track / studio audience got right on my tits, the character development had actually gone backwards and unlike the early series, there was a massive lack of pathos. Rimmer's childhood was always evenly tempered with tragedy and comedy, which made it a bit more real.

I will keep watching to see if it improves.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ October 4 2012, 9:51 PM BST

The laugh track / studio audience got right on my tits,

Studio audience.

Can't say I really noticed; there's always people laughing on my telly when I watch Red Dwarf.

Phew!!!

That wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Krytens rubbery face will take a bit of time until its comfortable to watch and im hoping the scouser comes back in to Lister's accent as there was many times I thought I was watching Llyod from Corrie.

All in all though it shows promise for the rest of the series.