The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 11

Quote: Matthew M @ June 5 2013, 4:20 PM BST

There are so many!

'Early Doors'
'TLC'
'The Worst Week of My Life'

But I would say that the top two have to be 'The Visit' and 'Roger and Val Have Just Got In' -both quite different but funny and moving (particularly 'Roger and Val')

Roger and Val was a couple in one episode of The Royle Family too! :D

TLC was great!
Also Beast.

I never feel that Dinnerladies quite gets the respect it deserves. It has some of the funniest lines I've ever heard in it and can go from the usual sitcom setup to the dark to the surreal and back again all in one episode. By far my favourite thing that Victoria Wood has ever done.

Oh Doctor Beeching! has to be very underrated, didn't get enough praise like other Croft's sitcoms.

Schindler's List?

Series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge never quite got the respect it deserved.

Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps.

Perhaps not number one most underrated, but certainly up there.

Hippies

Quote: chipolata @ June 23 2013, 6:28 PM BST

Series 2 of I'm Alan Partridge never quite got the respect it deserved.

Yep, I'll agree with you on that one!

I thought The Lovers was a bit underrated. So was Robin's Nest in my opinion.

Stella Street I'll add. Don't remember too much fuss being made of it but I thought it was the funniest thing on when it was.

Loved Stella Street. The sight of Jimmy Hill f**king his landlady through a wall will haunt me for ever.
I think Spaced has kind of been forgotten about,
Used to adore that show, reminds me of the days when Simon Pegg was actually funny.

Black Adder never gets repeated. Are the episodes just owned by Gold now? It certainly feels like it. (Annoyed I can't afford Gold).

Quote: DuckAvenger @ June 23 2013, 7:20 PM BST

Hippies

Yes! I always thought this was a lot better than it's given credit for. I was surprised that it didn't catch on more.

I'm going to go for Goodnight Sweetheart on this one. Underrated in the sense that it gets a lot of criticism and yet I think it is always a good watch and was quite an innovative idea for a sitcom rather than the average suburban sitcom that populated the screens around that time.

Lyndhurst played Gary Sparrow well and made his character plausible in what was, to all intents and purposes, an implausible situation and he was backed up well by the supporting cast, with Reg being quite an amusing Stooge and plot diversion and my attention was generally held all the while Emma Amos was on screen. Perhaps not underrated in terms of viewers as it ran for several series and attracted good ratings, but more in terms of critical perception and how it is regarded now in comparison to other comedies that spanned much of the 1990s.

Father Dear Father.