The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 7

Quote: David Carmon @ February 12 2012, 8:07 PM GMT

I'm still sticking with 2point4 Children.

Massive ratings, 8 series from 1991-1999 and yet the BBC ignores it like a disgraced relative.

The longest running BBC sitcom of the 1990s and nobody pays it any attention.

That in my view is what defines underrated.

My Family and Two Pints of Lager have been on forever but that's not an indication of quality...think it needs something other than the length of its run.

Whilst it isn't the best thing that has ever been on TV, it is very quirky and a bit whacky and 'out there' at times, even the TV critics liked it most of the time.

Either way for the BBC to almost completely ignore their longest running sitcom of the 1990s is still a bit odd.

Don't know about anyone else but I quite liked Dr Terrible's House Of Horrible which was Steeve Coogan & Julia Davis even think Armstrong & Miller guys are in it in parts and a few other famous faces.

Only ran for one series, each episode was a spoof genre; one had a Dracula film type theme the other had a Twilight Zone feel to it an so on, in all was very entertaining and funny but no one really ever mentions it.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention was ran on BBC in UK in 2001 I think:)

Quote: Colin Omedy @ September 18 2011, 5:02 PM GMT

Is it the most underrated comedy? Do you agree?

I dunno I missed it. The most underrated comedy when it was done at the time was probably the Chris Morris/Peter Cook "Why Bother?" series as it was broadcast on radio 3.

A lot of my picks have already been mentioned (Darkplace, 15 Storeys High etc.) I would add Monkey Dust to the list. Three series, but only the first on DVD!

Not sure if this counts as it was only a pilot, but 'Lizzie and Sarah' (Julia Davis and Jessica Hynes writing and starring) was excellent and should have been commissioned. Or perhaps I should save this one for a different thread.

It has to be Coupling, series 1-3 at least. Much better than Friends ever was, some genius writing and plots, and Jeff is one of the best comedy creations of all time.
A master of getting himself into the sticky situation and having the audience willing him to succeed.

Saying that I have just bought the EDC boxset on the basis of this thread so will see what it's like!

Life Of Riley. Should really have it's own channel.

Agree with 2point4 Children, Coupling 1-3 and Thin Blue Line.

Early Doors is a bit under-rated but seems to be pretty well recognised by most who've seen it.

I'd go for The Smoking Room, which rarely gets mentioned, no-one ever seems to have seen but it bloody marvellous.

Mr. Show with Bob and David is one of the greatest sketch shows of all time that most people have never heard of.

Granted, it's never been shown in this country but we all have the internet now so there's no excuse.

Quote: David Carmon @ February 12 2012, 8:32 PM GMT

Either way for the BBC to almost completely ignore their longest running sitcom of the 1990s is still a bit odd.

Odd only from the point of view it was a long running show, but not odd from a 'does it fit the current schedule' angle. I can't see that it would. It was very of its time and I'm not sure the target audience would get it now, that is the children in the family, at least. How could they relate to a family that has no computer, no game station things, no mobile phones, and whose TV looks like an old box in the corner?

Very very few family sitcoms get repeated, for this reason, as do very very few children's shows. Instead, they make new ones to constantly reflect the times we live in and family life today. Get it? So your beloved 2.4 Children is a victim of its own genre - Family Sitcoms. If it were remade for today's family audience it would need all the things mentioned above and it would probably be called 3.9 children or whatever the current average rate is, as it has rocketed in the last 20 years.

Well, the two males of the family were computer-game mad, and it does receive repeats on GOLD, but yeah, you make a good point, and it's not a big surprise it's not seen on BBC One these days.

(And I suspect David's referring to lack of DVD availability rather than repeats.)

Seen 2 episodes of Pete Versus Life that I thought were hilarious. And I loved Saxondale and Ever Decreasing Circles.
I'm new here, so do you mention radio programmes? How about Ed Reardons Week? Terrific!

We do indeed. :)

Quote: tiger_rick @ March 16 2012, 4:51 PM GMT

I'd go for The Smoking Room, which rarely gets mentioned, no-one ever seems to have seen but it bloody marvellous.

Good call.

'Help' isn't even the best sitcom called 'Help.' That would be the Eighties scouse one.

Most of the suggestions on here aren't really under-rated. As far as great stuff that people have properly forgotten about I'd go Nightingales.

Or How Do You Want Me.

Quote: notoriousrory @ March 20 2012, 3:45 AM GMT

'Help' isn't even the best sitcom called 'Help.' That would be the Eighties scouse one.

Most of the suggestions on here aren't really under-rated. As far as great stuff that people have properly forgotten about I'd go Nightingales.

Or How Do You Want Me.

You're the first person I've heard mention the original 'Help' series, since I first saw it as a little kid. I was beginning to think it was a figment of my imagination.