The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 6

Not sure there's such a thing as an underrated comedy. If it's good, it does well. Easier to see OVERrated sitcoms - Will & Grace and Outnumbered spring instantly to mind, but I'm sure we could come up with a good 100 names before tea.

One that never got a lot of airing that I really had a good laugh at was a US comedy called Shasta McNasty.

The most underrated comedy of all time has to be Saxondale. Everyone became so hung up on Partridge, that a lot of Coogan fans passed this one by.

It is easily just as funny and quote worthy as Partridge, but with a slightly grittier edge.

Agree about Saxondale, that had some great moments, with a much more rounded and detailed main character than Partridge. Relatively daring in having a scene with the main character snorting cocaine too.

I am not a Coogan fan but Saxondale is by some distance the best thing he has done.

It's a great show. I mean, it's not as Good as Partridge, no, but then how many shows are?

Quote: Timbo @ January 9 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

I am not a Coogan fan but Saxondale is by some distance the best thing he has done.

The first half of your statement pretty much explains the second half. Saxondale was okay, but it looks curiously dated now, and part of the post-Officerush for dour and downbeat laughter-free sitcoms.

When you say 'laughter free', I am presuming you mean not shown in front of an audience of hyped up clap monkeys.

If you mean that Saxondale wasn't funny - then really, there is no hope for you.

He definitely means the latter. It was dire.

Not only is Saxondale good, but Baby Cow sent me the boxset for free. Maybe they were trying to bribe me to say nice things online.

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2012, 3:42 PM GMT

He definitely means the latter. It was dire.

:O

The BCG, where Mrs. Brown's Boys is celebrated but Saxondale is 'dire'.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 13 2012, 3:41 PM GMT

When you say 'laughter free', I am presuming you mean not shown in front of an audience of hyped up clap monkeys.

If you mean that Saxondale wasn't funny - then really, there is no hope for you.

No, I liked it, but I didn't think it was earth-shattering. I guess I mean it was part of that wave of shows that was almost embarrassed to be a sitcom, and at the end of the day it ended up being just...meh.

Early Doors. It fell well short of the acclaim it deserved.

And I agree with anyone else who wrote derogatory things about Saxondale. It was chronic.

A couple I think were under rated were:
The Thin Blue Line
You Rang, M'Lord?
Filthy, Rich And Catflap

I'd have to say Bottom and The Young Ones. Amazing!!! :)

I'm still sticking with 2point4 Children.

Massive ratings, 8 series from 1991-1999 and yet the BBC ignores it like a disgraced relative.

The longest running BBC sitcom of the 1990s and nobody pays it any attention.

That in my view is what defines underrated.