The most underrated comedy of all time? Page 14

Stella Street never quite gets the props it deserves.

The first two series anyway.

It went a bit down the swanny after that.

The excellent 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' film was on the telly the other day and this lead us on to a conversation about Adrian Mole. Perhaps not THE most underrated comedy of all time but definitely one that doesn't get the retrospecitve nostalgic credit it deserves.

I said we should let the kids watch it but after viewing its pretty filthy first couple of episodes on YouTube I think we'll wait a while until they're old enough to understand the importance of the Norwegian Leather Export industry and what Mr Lucas is up to with Adrian's mum.

The creep.

Well worth a re-visit and I wonder why it's never really been picked up by one of the Gold channels for another go around.

The three on my list have already been mentioned - The Smoking Room, Early Doors and Monkey Dust. There's a running theme (2 from BBC Three, 1 from BBC Two, ran at around the same time, 2003-2005).

Not a sitcom, but I am always surprised at how little praise Modern Toss gets.

A couple of american comedies that are criminally underrated are Workaholics and Party Down.

Quote: Ben @ 3rd May 2015, 2:34 PM BST

Stella Street never quite gets the props it deserves.

The first two series anyway.

It went a bit down the swanny after that.

Phil Cornwell used to crack me up with his David Bowie and Michael Caine.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 20th May 2015, 12:03 PM BST

Phil Cornwell used to crack me up with his David Bowie and Michael Caine.

He did a great version of Sting where he spoke in that slightly high pitched way that Sting sings but with a Geordie accent. Very funny but I think he only did it in one episode.

Quote: gon gon @ 24th June 2013, 2:49 AM BST

I think Spaced has kind of been forgotten about,.

It doesn't get the love it once did. I still think Series 1 is far better than Series 2 . I think cause Wright/Pegg/Frost went on to top Spaced with Cornetto Trilogy that it does get overshadowed a little.

I think Reece Sheersmith/Steve Pemberton Inside No. 9 is sadly underrated by many even though its got two series already. I think it's actually the best thing they've done including The League Of Gentlemen.

Toast Of London is another that should be far bigger then it is. Although it's won awards, it's still underrated by many.

I may have posted this before but . . . . Cowboys.

I forgot How Not To Live Your Life, Dan Clark's BBC Three comedy from 2008-2011. Loved that show, and although it had a few fans, it deserved a lot more.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 26th May 2015, 12:14 AM BST

I may have posted this before but . . . . Cowboys.

Oh

Never seen that before but it's been on my 'never seen it but might buy it and hope it's not a load of tosh' list

Most underrated sitcom of all time is Operation Goodguys

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th June 2015, 9:35 PM BST

Never seen that before but it's been on my 'never seen it but might buy it and hope it's not a load of tosh' list

Don't delay, treat yourself today! Just look at the cast.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/cowboys/buy/2097/cowboys_the_complete_first_series_dvd/

I know!

But I've took a chance on a few sitcoms lately and they've been bobbins

And I've got a wish list as long as yer arm

Sex Lives of the Potato men, classic comedy

Quote: longtime firstime @ 18th May 2015, 5:22 PM BST

The excellent 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' film was on the telly the other day and this lead us on to a conversation about Adrian Mole. Perhaps not THE most underrated comedy of all time but definitely one that doesn't get the retrospecitve nostalgic credit it deserves.

I said we should let the kids watch it but after viewing its pretty filthy first couple of episodes on YouTube I think we'll wait a while until they're old enough to understand the importance of the Norwegian Leather Export industry and what Mr Lucas is up to with Adrian's mum.

The creep.

Well worth a re-visit and I wonder why it's never really been picked up by one of the Gold channels for another go around.

I couldn't agree more and re-watched both Thames series last year on YouTube. It seems a shame that the actors portraying Adrian and Pandora didn't continue in the industry. Quite a lot of the first two books went way over my head in the 80s, but that's good layering for you.

Finally, the Ian Dury-penned theme tune is bloody fantastic.

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. It was on while I was at university and as my VHS that I'd taped it off the TV with got passed round campus I felt like I was doing my bit to spread the word.

What would I consider to be underrated?

I do think Bottom is brushed aside as senseless slapstick but Rik and Ade's performances and their writing are second to none when it comes to toilet humour and comedic violence.

I agree with Darkplace. The Day Today and Coogan's Run spring to mind. I liked Saxondale a lot too, speaking of Coogan.

Game On. No one ever remembers it when I bring it up.
I really liked George & Mildred too and I rarely hear that being brought up.