The Show What You Wrote Page 6

Thank you for the advice Pleased . END

People have started putting their sketches on critique already.

Does that indicate that they're in? or out?

Neither, the deadline has been extended till 29/3/13.

Quote: gappy @ March 11 2013, 2:50 PM GMT

Neither, the deadline has been extended till 29/3/13.

Why I mentioned it...

Has anyone submitted material and received feedback from the script-editor yet?

I think most people will wait until the deadline to submit - I am

Quote: michael b @ March 13 2013, 4:22 PM GMT

Has anyone submitted material and received feedback from the script-editor yet?

I've submitted work to the producers and not had feedback yet, but I know one is busy with another show and the other likely is too. I was working on the understanding that anything that is decent will receive feedback after the deadline for you to edit afterwards, doubt they'll have time to give any out beforehand as with everyone being allowed to submit 50 sketches each they're going to have a job on their hands.

Quote: blahblah @ March 14 2013, 5:09 AM GMT

I'm working on each episode separately and then sending in the sketches when I've finished. Starting with sci-fi/horror, which I think will be inundated with material. I don't want my material to be in a huge pile of sketches they all received right at the deadline.

Or maybe they haven't read anything yet and are waiting for the deadline to close!

Quote: blahblah @ March 14 2013, 5:09 AM GMT

Nearest possible point to the deadline?

Quote: Tim Azure @ March 15 2013, 10:27 AM GMT

Nearest possible point to the deadline?

Yup. Minutes before

Hi

Just a little tip that's really working for me. I bought a Samson Meteor mic for £60, specifically for this competition and for sitcom writing. It is a great quality professional sounding plug and play for the money. With audacity, which is free you, can record your sketches and hear what they sound like, or (as I do) play them to your wife and kids and see if they laugh.

It's really helped me see where the sketches need some fine editing and whether they are funny, as well as hearing there actual length when performed dramatically.

I'm sure some of you do it anyway, so I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs. But for those who don't, I'd highly recommend it, it's really improved my sketch writing.

Quote: Richard Felber @ March 17 2013, 1:15 PM GMT

Hi

Just a little tip that's really working for me. I bought a Samson Meteor mic for £60, specifically for this competition and for sitcom writing. It is a great quality professional sounding plug and play for the money. With audacity, which is free you, can record your sketches and hear what they sound like, or (as I do) play them to your wife and kids and see if they laugh.

It's really helped me see where the sketches need some fine editing and whether they are funny, as well as hearing there actual length when performed dramatically.

I'm sure some of you do it anyway, so I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs. But for those who don't, I'd highly recommend it, it's really improved my sketch writing.

You should have the gift of timing (assuming you are a good writer) without props like that. My opinion is that it's no good buying things especially, you won't get your money back, at least not quickly.

When writing the sketches in word for radio format I seem to have a problem if there is 2 lines or more of dialogue. I put in the characters name and then tab across for the dialogue but when the dialogue runs to the second line it falls under the character name and is not in the middle of the page like the first line of dialogue.

When I then tab the 2nd line of dialogue to fit under the 1st the whole thing including the characters name tabs across as well. I end up having to fix almost every line. If I have to do this with every sketch I'll be at it for months.

Sorry for being an idiot about it but could anyone help me out and show me the error of my ways.

Here's my sketch template for Newsjack in Google Docs. If you download it to Word format it should retain the correct formatting.

Dan